Generate and Send New Message on Receipt of Email in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Zyniker, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Zyniker macrumors 6502

So, I have a request that will (likely) involve an AppleScript.

Essentially, what I want to accomplish is this:

If I receive an email with an email address in the subject line (let's use address@email.com), I want Mail to generate a new email to the address from the subject line and then send it with a pre-defined body text.

If anyone knows how to accomplish this, the help would be much appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can do this with Mail Rules. I would explain the process, but it's pretty simple and you might find something else there you might be interested in at the same time. Mail -> Preferences -> Rules

3. Zyniker thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't believe I can do this with the Rules in Mail. Perhaps you were under the impression that I meant if I receive an email with one, specific email address as the subject I'd like to respond to it; however, this is not the case.

I would like to take ANY email address in the subject line of an email sent to a particular account and automatically send an email (with some pre-determined body text) to the email address that was contained in the subject line of the received email.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It's (AFAIK) doable with Mail rules but yes you'll have to use AppleScript to parse out the email address from the subject and generate the new email. See this thread for a template to get started.

(I moved this thread to Mac Programming)

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110