Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
I am looking to buy a 512x2 dimm 1gb upgrade pair for my new powermac when it arrives. I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased 18004memory.com's generic ram and if it is quality ram in their opinion?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
invaLPsion said:
I am looking to buy a 512x2 dimm 1gb upgrade pair for my new powermac when it arrives. I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased 18004memory.com's generic ram and if it is quality ram in their opinion?

i'm using some right now in my powerbook. I've had good experiences with them and i think you'll be satified especially for their low prices

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
I've used 18004Memory (there's a 512 stick from them in my ibook right now) and have been very pleased. Though I think I opted for name-brand, not generic. At the time, it was maybe 5 buck more so I shelled out the extra money. The company itself has my blessing though.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've heard nothing but good things about them, though I've never used them personally.

However, please be very careful about the RAM you put into your G5 PowerMac. They are very finicky. Spend the extra $$ to get something that is G5 rated, or you'll be wasting the money you spend on the cheaper sticks.

Buy the cheapest G5-rated RAM you can find, but make sure whatever you buy will run in the G5. Any reputable seller will be able to verify which sticks you should buy for the PowerMac.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
I was going to buy MacSolutions ram even though it is a bit more expensive. I know the MacSolutions ram is of very high quality and comes with a lifetime warranty. I will probably buy from them.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I've bought hundreds of chips from them, and never has one failed. Now, however, I buy my units for the district with Apple ram. We lease, I get a price break because of the large orders I place, and it's just easier for me. 18004Memory is a great company, and they know about Mac specs to boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.