Genius Appointment or walk-in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nyy8, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Do I have to make a Genis appointment to have my iPhone looked at (broken power/sleep button)? Or could I just walk in?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Make an appointment. Many store are really busy in terms of Genius help (although it doesn't look like it).

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I had the exact same situation this week. I tried a walk-in but they said they literally had no one to see me, so I made an appointment for two days later.
    The Genius took one look at the lock button and replaced it almost immediately.

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You will be much better off making an appointment. Unless you have plenty of time to wait around in the store.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

You need an appointment.

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Your typo made me LOL. :D

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I always make an appointment.

8. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

9. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Interesting thing going on with power buttons on the iPhones 5s. I have seen several other threads about this. The issue is that, the power button only works on one side. (in my case it's the left) So if I press the power button on the right side, it acts like I never pushed it.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

This - I and one of my friends have had the exact same problem. Luckily, Apple seem very willing to replace it.
    Weird how they all stop working down the right side - wonder if it's a design flaw.

11. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Makes me wonder too, it has to be. It's too "widespread", Was yours a "launch day" model? Maybe it was only a flaw with the launch day models? I made an appointment for tomorrow, and I'm almost 100% sure they are going to replace mine.

12. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Drives me nuts that they don't have staff to support walk in customers with questions. IMHO they should have a dedicated genius simply for walk in customers. No appointments in the system, go F yourself is basically what they tell you.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Why should they put somebody who walks in above those who actually took the time to book an appointment. How would you feel if you'd waited two days for an appointment, and somebody walked in and got seen right away?

Do you do the same thing at your doctors' surgery?

The number of "walk ins" they get on a daily basis is insane - they would need about 5/6 extra staff on top of what they have in order to see all the "walk ins" - which wouldn't be possible (there wouldn't be physical space for it in most stores for a start). If they have people available, they will try their best to see you - but chances are there won't be anyone available.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The days of walking right in to see a genius are long gone. You'll need an appointment sometime that appointment can be a day or two later. My wife tried to make on Friday and had to take a Sunday appointment :eek:

15. AFDoc macrumors 68030

What are you talking about? You would still have an appointment, I wouldn't of taken anything away from you or any other person with an appointment. The walk in genius would be for just that, walk ins. Wait may be a long time but at least that would be an option... Not just the "bend over you're gonna get it without lube" option they give you now.
    You think average apple user knows they need to book an appointment to talk to a genius? Of course they don't. So Bob and Sally who just drove 2.5 hours to make it to the closest apple store are now told to go F themselves because there are no appointments left. Yeah, that's an awesome way to do business!

16. tl01 macrumors 65816

Why would anyone make an appt if they can get a walk in one? Bob and Sally should make one before they drive 2.5 hours to the store.

Apple could do it the Samsung way and not offer any appointments or service.

17. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's well documented ALL over Apple's website, and you can call the store beforehand.

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yes, mine was launch day. Touch wood, my replacement is near perfect with no scratches or anything. Good luck at the Genius Bar, it should all go fine!

19. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Because I have multiple Apple stores in my area, I never make appointments. Usually first thing on a weekday they always have time. Weekends are a different story.

20. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

First experience with the Geniuses, not too impressed. I'm sure they are knowledge... just not what I saw.

So I walk in at 12:15pm (appointment is at 12:20) right on time! Nope... I check in, and end up waiting until 12:30 is see anyone. I just sat at that table called "Personal Setup" I think it is. Then the Geniuses comes out, and all ready. We talk at the bar, and I show her the phone. Told her the problems, she can quickly reproduce it and swaps my phone (like she said she would).

She grabs me a new phone (refurbished I think) and I restore from my iCloud backup. This whole time it is saying "No Sim" on the top left, and then she tries "Unlocking the Phone" as she told me (I was happy I was about to get a unlocked phone, but I didn't), Still it said "No Sim" on the top left. So she gives up and grabs me a second replacement.

This second replacement I had to sigh for (again) and she pops in the SIM, everything works. Then I go to restore from my iCloud, and boom. Error message something about I have reached the maximum number of restores allowed from iCloud in a 90-day period. Great... She goes "Oh opps", and sends me on my way. I restored from a backup at home, and everything is all up and running at this point.

I was at the store from 12:15 to about 1:05. So about 50 mins to swap out a iPhone. How fun... :eek:

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Feel your pain - I had an appointment at 4:30, wasn't even spoken to until 5:10, then took another twenty minutes to sort out a replacement!

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Odd, it took me 20 min to walk in with defective iPhone and walk out with brand new one.

23. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If you wanted to get out quickly you could have just said you'd restore it yourself when you get home, they wouldn't have argued. Still, it's good you got it sorted in the end :)

24. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I did go on a weekend, and the place was quite packed. But I'm glad I got it sorted out too.

Side note, is there a way to tell if my phone is new or refurbished?

25. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

9 times out of 10 (more like 99 out of 100 or 9,999 out of 10,000) they give you a refurb. If it came in a plain white box, it was a refurb. That isn't a bad thing -- refurbs are put together better than a brand new one because Apple has to test all the parts thoroughly and you always get a new outside on it anyway.