Genius Bar? Am I being too picky?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JUiCEJamie, May 17, 2012.

1. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of returning my iPhone. But I don't know if I'm being too picky.

When on silent, or switching my silent button (of course, the iPhone vibrates), but when it does.. it almost sounds like something is loose inside the device. Causing it to make an audible noise. It's hard to describe, but the only reason I'm thinking of taking it back it because I rely on my phone for my job. But even on silent, I, an my colleagues can hear it vibrating away.

2. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

If it has an obvious sound that is not normal, then no you are not being picky.

3. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Return or exchange? That rattling sound isn't normal, I'd definitely exchange it.

4. Gr8fulMac macrumors newbie

I don't think you're being too picky at all. What you're experiencing shouldn't be happening. Bring it back!

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

You can turn the vibrate function off in the settings

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I purchased an unlocked white 32GB iPhone from the Apple store and it had this very issue. The Apple store geniuses were completely dismissive. I returned it and bought another one only to have more issues. Long story I went through 8 iPhones, all with obvious issues (light leaks, loose buttons, crooked and loose home buttons. My latest iPhone that Apple sent me has a small leak on the top right and creaks when you apply pressure next to the home button.

I'm hoping Apple steps up quality for the next iPhone.

SO RETURN IT UNTIL YOU GET ONE DEFECT FREE.

7. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Which issue is bothering you? The noise when you switch it between muted and not muted or the noise vibrate makes? The vibration noise is likely to be dismissed, blackberrys always did this as well. You can turn the vibrate off too. If its the noise you hear when moving the switch, depends on how much it bothers you.

8. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Is it iPhone 4s?

Remember, the focus lens on the camera module is known (designed) to float and there for will rattle on many phones while vibrating.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hilarious response. Hey, he could also turn his phone off, huh? That fixes so many problems (reception, yellow tint, battery life, and the list goes on and on).;)

10. cynics macrumors G4

For as much as an iPhone cost it should be perfect IMO. I think some people are a little too picky but then again my 4S is flawless. I use vibrate all the time is a rattle in it would drive me nuts.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I agree with the other posters that you should return it and add that if there is something that will bother you on a replacement phone, be sure to check before you accept it (many listed by MattMJB0188).

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Test out a bunch of iphones they have there at the Apple store on display.
    If they all do the same then I wouldnt bother cause chances are you will get the same.
    I wouldnt worry much about the way it vibrates but that's just me.
    If you ask yourself am I beeing too picky chances are you are.
    Enjoy your phone and dont look for tiny imperfections like that. Most likelly you fill find something else that its not "perfect" with the replacement and then it becomes a vicious circle.

13. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

My 1st 4s would make a rattle sound on second vibrate and my replacement does the same. I would have to agree with isoft7. I tried at one time to check the iPhones at the apple store but those places are so noisy...

14. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I have to say the vibrate on the 4s is far better than it was on the 4 and 3GS.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It sounds different too. I could be wrong, but I suspect a lot of people hear this different sound and that alone makes them feel like something is wrong. The original iPhone all the way up to the 3GS all sounded the same, to me at least.

16. farmermac macrumors 6502a

:D

His post kinda sounded like he expected his phone to be silent but it was still vibrating despite silence mode. I wish the iPhone vibrated with about half of its intensity.