Genius Bar appointment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew83Ga, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

The sleep/wake button on my iPhone 5 is completely unresponsive as of about 2 weeks ago. There was no steady decline, it just suddenly happened.

After researching a little, it seems that it's a farily common issue, and apparently I can take it to a genius bar where they will likely replace it on the spot since it's still within the 1 year hardware warranty.

The closest Apple store to me would be Jacksonville, which I have to drive through anyway in a couple of weeks. Should I make an appointment with the store there now? Or can you just walk in typically? I don't know, I've never been to an actual Apple store. Are appointments truly necessary? Would I need to bring a receipt of my original purchase (launch day iPhone 5) or anything else?

Thanks everyone

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Yes, you would need to make an appointment since your iPhone is most likely going to need to be repaired. There is no need to bring a receipt as they will determine your warranty status from the phone's serial number

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Although you can do a walk-in, I would strongly suggest an appointment.

I'm not sure why you would not do an appointment, since you have some idea of your schedule in advance.:D

4. Idefix macrumors 6502

If it's been out for 2 weeks and you're going to have to wait 2 more weeks, why not just call the 800-line and see what they can do for you?

5. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Yeah, this. Call the Apple Customer Service line and explain the situation. They will more than likely offer you an Express Replacement where you're charged like $29 to cover the overnight shipping fee. They also put a hold on your credit card until they receive your defective phone back. It's a painless process for the most part. I prefer this method to driving a half hour to the nearest Apple Store, waiting another half hour because they're running late, and then being interrogated by a Genius. Just my opinion.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You definitely need an appt. You can't just walk in and have your phone serviced/swapped out without one.

You can walk in and make an appt in the store. But that's a gamble because if they are busy that day, you might have to wait an hour or 2 (maybe longer) before the next appt. is available.

If you know when you are going to be at the store, why wouldn't you just make the appt ahead of time? I don't understand. Go online, make the appt. and be done with it. Even if your not sure of the exact day you are going, you can make the appt a day or 2 before. But either way, you have to make an appt.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You almost certainly need an appointment.

You won't need receipts or anything, and if it's the lock button needing to be fixed, 99.9% of the time they'll swap it for a refurbished unit rather than repairing it.

My button broke and got it replaced - good as new now!

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

At your local stores perhaps but the general rule in major cities is do not expect a walkin, make an appointment.

Backup before you go, do not be late. If your appointment is at, say, noon, by 12:10 if you aren't there you lose. Your appointment time is over and done. And the shot they will let you hang out to see if someone doesn't show is slim. Don't risk it. Walk in ten minutes early, immediately ask if you need to check in somewhere. Go where they tell you to go, stay where they tell you to stay and keep your ears perked in case they call your name.

And plan that they might be running a little late. Staff calls out etc and delays happen. Going when you have a short window of time is not a good move. Take it from someone that happens all appointments for a fifty person office (iphone, iPad and macs). Crap happens and it only gets worse when some ass is yelling at them for 20 minutes about how he wasn't taken right in the dot (usually to a tech thus putting things even more behind)