Genius Bar Diagnostic Tool Info

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fruitycups, Dec 7, 2011.

1. fruitycups macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

im getting somewhat crummy battery life. Im looking to get a replacement hoping i'll have batter luck with that (i updated to 5.0.1 already). The battery isn't a ALOT less from my 4 so im 100% sure that the genius will deny me my request but i still would like a replacement (a refurb is fine) just to be sure sure im not imagining this.

because i know im gonna get rejected if i go there with "i want a new one cause my battery sucks" i was gonna say that i've been getting crashes and that the phones been reseting by itself 3-4 times a day. I was also going to restore my device so any stats won't show up when they plug it in.

but my question is, could they tell that if my phones been reseting itself?

a friends phone actually was constantly resetting and crashing and the genius bar replaced it without plugging anything in. thoughts?

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

So, your battery life is a LITTLE worse than it was with your 4, and you want to lie to the Genius to have them replace it, right? Slimy. Just wait for the next iOS update...they're still working on the problem. What is it with people and constantly wanting to lie so they can get a new phone? Threads like this come up way too often here.

3. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

most people lie cause they have a blemish. mine is mint still. its not because i want a new phone for the heck of it. many people claim they have wonderful battery life and unfortunately my phone with 5.0.1 doesn't. Is it so bad that i want a replacement one to try my hand at getting one that lasts longer.

4. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Tell them you get intermittent resets and that you have already restored the software.

Alternatively you can let your phone die and charge it for only about an hour, the percentage, from my experience, is a little inflated and will drain very rapidly.

5. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Just keep it. No sense in lying about it. If you battery life is "slightly worse" then it is probs the same as your iPhone 4, you're just using the 4s more.

Also, people need to stop comparing their battery life with other users. The guy that claims his battery lasts 3 days probably only takes 2 calls and checks his email once a day. The other guy that bitches about an 8 hour battery leads a life in which he sits on his iphone playing games all day long at max brightness and volume.

tl;dr
    You are not better than everyone else, don't lie to get a replacement that you don't need.

6. nouveau macrumors member

Nobody is stopping you, go to the Apple Store and get a replacement

7. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Behavior Scan, the diagnostic tool they use at the bar, will be able to tell everything about your phone, OS & Battery Life. So if you have a phone that has been automatically resetting, it will let them know that. Restore your phone and setup as new. Turn off System Services under Location Services in Settings....

8. blarivee macrumors 6502

I think you should keep what you have. There is the possibility that your replacement unit may have even worse battery life.

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

In your original post you said your battery isn't a lot worse than it was on your iPhone 4, but now you're saying it's so bad that you need a replacement. Which is it? What are you going to do if you think the battery on your next one is worse? Try the same lie over again? Seriously, just wait for the next iOS update. Apple has said they're working on the issue; give them a little time to fix it.

10. icewing macrumors 6502

Reminds me of Charlie Brown Christmas, where his sister asks for $10s and $20s from Santa Claus, with the justification that she just wants her fair share.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think the bottom line is, you can lie all you want, but you likely aren't going to find very many people here condoning it. If the genius bar employee feels like swapping it for you, he will.

The greatest reason to wait for the next iOS to push out is because you will then KNOW if it's your phone (hardware) or not. If you are still having issues, you can go in after that. If you want to go in now and make stories up, it seems you've made up your mind. Why are you needing people sitting behind their computers typing out responses to back you up?

12. curitibagarrett macrumors member

What happened to being honest? If your phone is in mint condition and your battery life isn't up to what you expect then just plug it in all the time when you get a chance. That' what I do.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Wonderful!

Another "I'm going to do something slimy and unethical. Tell me how I can get away with this, and approve my behavior" thread.

Such a delight.:D:rolleyes:

(Yes, another on my high horse, self-righteous, response to crappy, can-I getaway-with-it behavior.)

14. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

you are the reason that things cost more for the honest folks.

15. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

i must say. i wasn't aware that macrumors was such a righteous place. im sure every single one of you guys never did a dishonest thing in your life. never told a lie. nothing like that cause all of you are 100% honest 100% of the time.

i enjoy greatly how you guys speak as if you never said one lie in your whole life.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

First off, this isn't about me or anyone else here, it's about you. I will say, though, that I never have and never will lie in order to return something. Especially knowing that a fix is in the works, why can't you just wait?

You're the one that came here and asked us how best to lie to Apple about your phone. Don't get upset because we don't want to help and don't agree with what you want to do. You posted and opened yourself up to people's responses, so don't get angry when they say something you don't want to hear. We're not telling you that you can't do what you originally said. Most people have just told you that it's lying (which you already know). You're surprised that a lot of people don't condone you lying to get what you want?

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

As you mature you'll realize that because you did something wrong does not mean you can never advise anyone not to do the same thing. Like in life, this forum is full of diverse people and some will help you with your scheme and others will scold you for it.

Two other things I've learn is: 1) Don't ask the question if you won't like the answer; and 2) It's all how you ask the question. I would have gone with something like, "My phone may have a problem, but I'm not sure a Genius will agree. If the Genius can't find a problem, what can I do or say to guarantee a warranty replacement?"

18. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

people like the OP are the reason I gotta pay an arm and a leg for this stuff.

Seriously, cut the bs, deal with it, or just go back to 4.

Waste of a thread

19. JAT macrumors 603

Sad you consider "righteous" to be bad. Backwards.

20. Zxxv Suspended

Nah people buying on credit is why things cost so much.

21. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Also tells them a whole lot more, i ran it on mine just to see what it does.

As to OP, no need to make stuff up, go to the Genius Bar and have a chat to them, explain why you're not happy and they might be able to help.

We've had people coming into our place, ranting and raving, and making stuff up, with no legitimate faults on their iDevices, and they've been turned away, and then there are those that think they have faulty stuff, explain their worries, and we'll happily sort them out, as they aren't making stuff up, or full of anger/BS.

Lots of peeps have lower battery life on the 4 and 4S, and loads don't, some have amazing battery stats, but it all depends on how they are used, as no one has the same usage as another, the ideal conditions/signal/whatever.

22. Bigchef89 macrumors newbie

Wait, he's slimy cause they released a bunk iOS that wasn't ready? If you didn't update you wouldn't get the awesome ness of the iCloud's whatever it does, I have the 4 updated it runs great maybe its a bad unit. No cant be I'm sure in china the qos is top notch haha

23. zodiaque macrumors member

these days iphones say when they were connected since last full charge so thats not an option.

24. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

No, he's considering doing something slimy because he knows they probably won't replace his phone unless he lies. And by the way, iOS 5 isn't a "bunk iOS." It's not perfect, sure, but there's a lot of really great stuff. Apple has said that there's a problem and that they're working on it. So there's no need to lie about what's going on. Either go in and be honest and see what they do, or wait until Apple releases the next iOS update.