Genius Bar said they can send my mac to mac depot to refurbish?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbit, May 6, 2012.

1. dbit macrumors regular

So I'm having problems with my MBP only occassionally booting up. It's getting stuck in some kind of boot mode, it turns on but the screen stays off, keys and usb off, and no chime. It's like some kind of low power mode. After resetting the SMC I can get it to reboot sometimes. Swapped ram out, etc, looks like it could be a logic board problem?

I took it in to the genius bar and he said one option is they could send it to the 'depot', the 'mac depot' he said, and for $300 they would refurbish it, as it's in good condition.

Now has anybody heard of this mac depot, and this kind of refurbishing situation? He said it would be offered to me as a flat fee, rather than piece mail finding the problem, as this would be more costly in the end.

Can anyone tell me about the mac depot or about this deal, and clarify what he was talking about?

2. brenden macrumors regular

brenden

You took it to a genius bar at an apple store?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How old is it? This sounds odd to me but maybe they're offering to take it and pay ou so the money can go towards a new Mac. :confused:

4. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

I've found other threads on this. Google ' "repair depot" genius apple '. Apparently it's a 3rd party vendor that works on mac laptops at rates comparable to apple care corporate, I have no idea how it works but I've found other people sharing their stories. Anywhere from $250-400 flat fee for certain machine models, but it has to be manager approved and is not something they advertise.

However I'm still looking for more information and experiences from anyone that knows more information!

5. tarponbeach macrumors member

Yes, I took my 13" MBA to the Genius bar, as the trackpad was not working. They sent it to the Mac Depot, for a flat rate $300.00 charge.

When I got it back, they had replaced the screen, the screen bezel, the hinges, new logic board, and complete new keyboard/trackpad/top aluminum case.

Not a bad deal for $300.00. My MBA looked and ran like a brand new machine.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It is completely safe to go with the Depot repair.
    My MBP went through it and it is running fine after 2 years.
    They will replace anything that is bad for a flat fee.
    It is a standard Apple Genius Bar operation, as after they try the simple things they send the complicated MacBook repairs to the depot.
    As you already found out, indeed they are 3rd party authorized Mac repair shops.
    Just, as always have your data with you before sending your Mac away = back up your HDD, wipe it clean before sending it there (personal privacy choice).

7. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

Can I ask you guys how long it took to get your machines back?

8. tarponbeach macrumors member

4 days for my MBA.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I left it on a Saturday, and got it back one week after, it was ready before, I don't remember exactly as I was traveling, so for me it was OK to wait until I returned from the trip. Ask then and they will give you an estimate of time. I survived with my iPhone during that time.

10. sidefx macrumors regular

is it the Mac Depot in Kettering Ohio?

if so that is really the only apple store we have in dayton, oh. They do good work there.

11. tarponbeach macrumors member

I'm in Maryland, but they sent my MBA to Texas.