Genius Bar tells me creaking screen is "just the way it is" 5c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cvam1985, Oct 8, 2013.

1. cvam1985 macrumors regular

Tonight the lady at the Genius Bar told me to expect my second replacement 5c to continue making a cracking and creaky noise when using the touch screen. She told me that since it's made of plastic and not aluminum like the 5S that it is expected.

My first replacement was "captured" and I got a new retail unit. This time they gave me a replacement out of a white refurb box. The screen is creaky and loud. I'm so disappointed.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I don't think it's normal at all. My Fiancee's 5C makes no noise at all. Ask to spek to a senior tech about this and get a replacement that doesn't do this.

3. cvam1985 thread starter macrumors regular

She told me that since a tiny bit of pressure has to be applied to hear it that I should apply any pressure to the screen..... If you press down just a bit on her phone do you feel give and hear a creak at all ?

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

That would drive me nuts.

I'd try 3 things.

1. Go to a different Apple store and deal with a different person.

2. Call Apple directly and explain that you were turned away for this annoying issue. If they take your side, they can create a Genius Bar appointment for you, with explicit instructions to replace the phone.

3. Barring any replacement, loop a video on the phone for an hour or so, letting the phone get nice and hot, then rapidly press on the opposing screen edges, one edge at a time, as if it were a see-saw. There could be some rough edges or plastic reside inside that just needs a little repeated friction to smooth it out and quiet it down.

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Yeah they have to be lying. I have 3 5c's in my house hold and none of them has this issue. If it was we'd be hearing screen -gate by now

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Using any kind of logic - if you've had three devices with the same "issue", they're all going to do it.

For the record, my iPhone 5 does this, and so did my 3GS.

7. 1981d macrumors regular

Do the display models in the store creak? If not, I'd walk her over to one and ask her how come they don't have the "universal" defect.

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

My 5s did the same thing. You could actually see movement on the right side of the display vs the left. They had no problems replacing it.

9. mustu macrumors 6502

same here my 5S did it on the right as well and they replaced it

No issue now :p

10. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I'm typing this on a Samsung chassis tablet (the very tablet thay drove my me to buy an iPad 4 and Mini), and while the plastic chassis creaks if it's twisted, the screen doesn't creak when I drive my thumbs into it. Take it back again, amd get a good one. Don't be intimidated by store employees. They are there to serve you...... ;)

11. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Lol, I have a Samsung Note 10.1 and the creaking is a feature. But the display feels rock solid.

12. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

My wife's 5S had the screen creaking issue and they replaced it without issue once we got past the triage guy that was trying to get us to return it to Best Buy as that is where she purchased it. The senior tech took it to the back to have a look at it and as he was trying to remove the screen it started to fall apart so that was that.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, I just asked her to test it, but there isnt a thing there..I call the genius giving BS. Get it replaced.

14. cvam1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you and thanks for all the replies. First time I've been disappointed with an apple product but hoping for a happy resolution soon.

15. gusping macrumors 6502

My iPhone 5 has a creaky screen and i've had it a year and it's been fine so don't worry.

16. SR71 macrumors 68000

Wait so did they give you a replacement or did they refuse to and just say that that's "just the way it is"? If that's the case then call AppleCare and tell them about the issue and they'll get you fixed up.

They seem to care a lot more than the Genius Bar people do and they'll send you an express shipment so that you'll get the new phone in 24-48 hours and then you send the old one back. I had to do that with my current one because the Genius Bar refused to give me a replacement for a faulty fingerprint sensor. Called AppleCare on Sunday and I should have my new one today, shipped on Monday so that'll have been 48 hours just as they told. They're even giving me a free case a way to say sorry. Much better service than the Genius Bar.

17. cvam1985 thread starter macrumors regular

She replaced it for me but told me to expect it to start creaking. It did as soon as I got home with it. I wonder if it's a color / storage specific issue with the launch batch? I have 32gb yellow.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

19. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Call apple. Bitch to them. Tell them you were told 'that's the way it is' to give you inferior products. They will work it out. Many genius's are putzses.

20. abz1981 macrumors 65816

crackgate :D

You should talk to the manager or just call Apple Care and get them to replace it.

21. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

If your screen is creaking, then the display is loose or not properly glued down. Not normal. I would have laughed at that Genius' face, that said it was normal.

22. cvam1985 thread starter macrumors regular

I expected calling Apple this morning to receive better service than at the Genius Bar.

Their suggestion was to reset the software. I kept telling her it was a hardware thing and not a software one. She said then I should go back to the store for the third time.

I called the store first and they said they would help me and even talk about returning it for a 5s which I think I am going to do...

I am sad because I love the 5c and chose it over the 5s for many reasons. But I don't buy iPhones so that they can feel cheap and creaky... Surprised more people don't have this problem and feel the same way I do about it.

23. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I like how they suggest doing a software reset when it's an obvious hardware issue. jeez

sucks, both sister in laws have the 5c and it actually feels really good and solid to what I originally thought it would.

24. Jason1978 macrumors regular

My aluminum 5 makes that sound. With many others with this issue, I gave up on caring about it.

----------

You will find the same problem with most of the 5 and 5s's. You just cant escape it. There are lots of other threads on this out there.

25. Firen macrumors regular

Firen

I have that issue on my iPhone 4 as well - but it only appeared after 2,5 of - more or less - heavy usage, several drops, etc. - so I'm not complaining ;D