Geniuses failed me!Tell me about your 15 inch screen, I can't seem to find a good one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by f1vespeed, May 10, 2008.

1. f1vespeed macrumors newbie

I have a late-April Penryn 15.4inch MBP, which has some weird screen characteristics. In the bottom 1/3 of the screen, but especially in the bottom left corner, there is almost no contrast between white and certain very light colors.
    Additionally, colors appear dimmer in this corner, but let's focus on the following:

When I do the following: (please do this experiment too on your MBP, I'm curious)
    -Open itunes and look at the alternating blue and white bars of your media playlists
    -or-
    -Open up the standard gmail interface, and look at the alternating blue(read messages) and white(unread messages) bars

In the bottom left hand corner, these bars all look white. You can't tell that there are blue bars at all. I have seen this happen with light pink as well.

I took my MBP back to the store and demanded an exchange since it was so new. The Genius walked with me around the store, and together we found that every single Macbook Pro had the same problem. None of the iMacs, cinema displays, macbooks or macbook airs shared this fault, but every single macbook pro included the 17inch HR version had it. Unless you tilt the screen back, which puts the rest of the screen out of its viewing angle, the alternating bars converge into white at the bottom left of the screen.

Since this seems to be some kind of inherent flaw, I just left the store not knowing what else to do (quit the mac?) and after the manager came out and told me there was really nothing he could do besides offer me a refund. Please let me know if you have the same problem.

2. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Bugger for you. My 15.4 MBP screen is fine..... Turbo (Diesel) bummer for sure.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've done the itunes test on my 2.4Ghz macbook pro and I dont seem to have this issue that your having. The alternating blues look consistent and look the same as the rest of the blues.

I remember on the HR 17" mbp that I had (all 2) the screen was awesome BUT when I opened up the color orange on a background of a webpage just shifting your head slightly to the left or right will make the right or left side look a bit more yellowish orange to red orange. The macbook pro still uses a TN panels so the viewing angles arnt that great, this is why the 17" screen which is bigger isnt too great for viewing colors because the screen is too big and while you focus the 85% left or right of the screen and you move your eyes slightly to the area of the screen that your not directly facing.. there will be a shift in colors.

But this is the reason why I'm delighted with the 15" mbp because the 15" screen is perfect to view the whole screen without the shifting of colors. Plus the screen on the 15" mbp is soo vivid than the previous mbp same led screen I had that I want to keep this 2.4Ghz!! It has a 9c80 I think its AUO but its one of the most vivid screens I've seen, I've been through 4 LG's, 3 Samsung, 3 Chi Mei and have to say this it the far best screen I've seen. Its very vivid, clean, whites look so white (cocaine white!!) and no yellowing whatsoever on the bottom.

Usually having the mbp connected to the 23" ACD and using the 15" mbp's screen as a 2nd screen and having opened google in full screen used to make the bottom 1/3 yellow and tainted every color with yellow but now it looks all cocaine white! :D

4. jonaseriksson macrumors member

cant notice any change. maybe the store got a bad batch. send it to apple instead.

5. Taiphun macrumors newbie

Nope, mine arrived mid-April and do not exhibit any of the problems you're describing.