Geniuses Say Apple Knows About iPhone 6 ‘Touch Disease’, Won't Admit It Publicly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tubeexperience, Sep 27, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/ap...one-6-plus-touch-disease-truth-from-customers

2. big samm macrumors 65816

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

What country are you from?

4. calvy macrumors 65816

I just went through this with my wife's 6 Plus. We were out of warranty, Apple wouldn't do a damn thing for me but offer a $325 replacement. Both on the phone and in store they told me they wished me luck in getting something via a class action suit.

So I found a video on youtube that claimed to fix touch disease with no soldering. Basically you just put a piece of electrical tape on top of the Touch IC controllers on the logic board so that when you put the phone back together, there is pressure pushing the chips onto the board.

I wouldn't rely on that for a long term fix, but it worked long enough for me to trade it in at the AT&T store for $650 in credit. So it's no longer a problem for me. I'm still not happy about the way Apple treated us through it all, but I'm thankful I got out of a bad situation without losing much money.

5. resaka macrumors 6502

resaka

I'm really sorry to hear about that all. Did the employees provide a reason to you at all?

6. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I recently had a 6 Plus which was exchanged twice before for "Touch Disease " took it in Out Of Warranty it failed the Diagnostics and Apple Genius girl was very nice and generous got Authorization to Make an Exception and they gave me 6 Plus good as new. This was about a Month ago. Flipped it on Craigslist for $420 bucks, and Walked Right in to a new iPhone 7 Plus Matte a black

7. evoga macrumors member

evoga

My wife took my iPhone 6 Plus which is over two years old into the Apple Store yesterday as it finally had touch disease.

They swapped it for a brand new one for free. Very impressed with the service.

8. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

This happened to me about three months ago. I still had applecare so I got the phone swapped with no issues. When I was there another customer had the same issue with their plus but I saw them shell out money. My genius rep said they know it's a known issue however, without applecare, I would have had to pay to swap it out. The phone they gave me was intermittently starting to do it too sadly so I'm super happy with the 7plus.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think giving out new phone to anyone who has this problem is enough. The certainly do not need to take out ads on TV to tell everyone.

10. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

But without applecare, people got charged for a replacement for a "known" defect. That's not right.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you will read the above, there are many who are getting replacements, even if out of warranty. It is how Apple has always been and what made them what they are today.

12. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

13. big samm macrumors 65816

Canada

14. billybill macrumors newbie

Last Friday I walked into the Apple store with my iPhone 6 Plus that was suffering from the touch disease. I told the Apple genius that I was on my 3rd 6+ and I wanted to speak to a manager. The manager came over I told him what was wrong and how many times it had been replaced for the exact same problem. He looked at the device, confirmed the stuttering screen and said we'll replace it for free.

After swapping out the device I thanked him and he looked at me and said you'll never hear Apple admit to this problem but it's just not right and I want to make this right for you. You've had multiple devices with the same problem and even though its out of warranty I feel obligated to replace this for you based on your experiences over the past 2 years.

I walked out with my refurbed 6+ and I'm happy for now... The wait is on for my JB 7+ but hopefully this tides me over until it arrives sometime in "November".

It's incredible that Apple won't admit to this problem and if you're out of warranty you are SOL unless you find a gracious Apple employee who does the right thing.

15. evoga macrumors member

evoga

I had it free without any AppleCare even though the phone was over two years old and looked very worn. You need to speak to someone else in the store.

16. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

And what about the people who weren't offered free replacements for a well know defect?

Also, are you saying that replacing failed units because a known design defect is somehow praiseworthy instead of an obligation?

17. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

And, what about people like me where the nearest Apple store is 100+ miles away? It's hard to find a sympathetic Genius when you have to mail it in.

18. calvy macrumors 65816

I spent a Saturday evening and Sunday morning back and forth with supervisors trying to get my wife's 6 plus replaced at a reasonable cost. I offered to buy AppleCare retroactively, and they still said sorry, the best they could do was an out of warranty repair at the $300 something dollars. My wife took it into our local apple store the following Monday and pleaded with them to do something better than the $300, and they too refused. Having wasted a bunch of time, I gave up.

Luckily I came across the method of fixing it and was able to trade it in for the $650 credit. So all's well that ends well I guess.

I've been an Apple customer for 12 years now. Their customer support used to be stellar, but the iPhone ruined it. The Genuis bar became an iPhone swap station and too many people took advantage. I don't blame Apple for getting a little tighter on things. But this touch disease is a manufacturing defect, and they damn well know it. So the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

19. Indian Devil macrumors regular

I don't get a strutting screen but sometimes when receiving a call the slider just won't work. I tried with different fingers to make sure that it's not due to moisture or anything but it's the same with all and it works after 8-10 swipes.

Is this same (touch disease) or my issue is different?

20. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Nope

21. Indian Devil macrumors regular

Great. Will try to set up as new and hope that this problem disappears.

22. google macrumors regular

I have had the same issue on my iP 6 and I would think it is related

23. Indian Devil macrumors regular

That would be a problem for me then, as I bought this in USA and now I wont go back there till May 17. By that time the problem may increase and apple might stop giving replacement for this issue (read that they are giving replacement to most having this issue)

24. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

if you went into the apple store or spoke with someone via the phone and were adamant enough they would replace it for free. Even if you had to speak to someone different, there are employees out there for Apple that bend over backwards to help.