Georga high school joins rest of the world in 1964, has first integrated prom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Apr 18, 2013.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://thegrio.com/2013/04/18/georg...reparations-for-1st-integrated-prom/#51491395

Good for them. I guess I'm either ignorant or didn't think the south was still that racist, but I had no idea segregated proms still exist.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It is sort of shocking. I, too, would not have thought that such crude and obvious racism was still extant.

Of course, racism is not the exclusive province of the South...but this is so incredibly blatant.

I suppose one could argue that more subtle racism is harder to fight...but this is really over the top, IMO.

This takes me back to the wonderful 50's and 60's....wonderful if you were you weren't a person of color...

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Wow. Enforcing racial segregation by using the threat of the state's force. Guess all those 'small government' conservatives who are always on the lookout for tyranny must have eventually seen the error of their ways.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm surprised that didn't result in a lawsuit. I would be a little less surprised if this was a privately school. It would still be ridiculous. It's only surprising due to it being publicly funded.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

From your lips....

But I fear that folks committed to an extreme position seldom see the error of their ways. Their beliefs are not subject to revision based on logic, reasoned argument, or a sudden compassionate "conversion".

But I hope you are right!!

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Apart from the private function thing, I'm not surprised. You'd never be treated well again in a small town for taking on the establishment, especially as a black woman... except by those on your side.

Look at how small town ranks closed over the Steubenville rape case, for instance.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Gotta love the governor's reaction. :rolleyes:

Link

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Er.

Sorry, is he calling a racially-integrated prom divisive? Talk about walking a tightrope where words can mean just about anything you like.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's a private function, yet it's still a convention of the public school system. I haven't spent a lot of real time in small towns. I've only driven through them on occasion.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Think of it sort of like the local Jaycees holding their own gathering in the school gymnasium. It's held on grounds, but not an official function of the public school system.

Having spent a lot of time exploring the back roads of Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama, this doesn't surprise me in the least. It's a prime example of what I described previously in another thread long since gone. While you could say that racial issues and tensions are improving in the larger cities around here, things are still a little...er...strange beyond their borders. In the extreme, you can come across some small towns that don't seem like they've progressed at all since 1964.

They're like an anthropology experiment, pockets of the Old South frozen in a single moment 40 years back in time. The only clue you'll see as proof that you're still firmly planted in the 21st century being the cars you see on the roads.

11. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Good point and dead on. In the south (arkansas for example) racists are louder, but there are still a lot of good people there. You DO know where they are though. In Southern Cal it's far more subtle, harder to make out until it hits you.

I used those as examples of both places as I lived there. I prefer NW arkansas any day of the week. The nice people in AR are extremely nice and understanding, both extremes really pronounced. My wife lived in nwa for 2 years (her only in the uS) and loves it there, she was shocked at how nice people were. We stopped at a place in OK that has free clothing for the poor. They asked if we were going to mexico and loaded the whole car. We gave it to the poorest.

My point is that the south gets a bad rap because of the loud racists, in reality I saw more in so cal.

That DOES NOT change how shocked I am at this story though.

12. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Lawsuit for denying entrance to a private party?

Try that out and let me know how far it gets you. Hell, that happens every weekend at colleges across the entire country.

EDIT: To clarify, I find it very strange that any student body would have such an arrangement. Have to admit that I was surprised when I first heard about it.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

When I wrote that I had forgotten that proms were technically private events in spite of being closely tied to the school and sometimes hosted on school grounds.

14. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Glad to see someone else shares this opinion.

There are still racists in the South, and their opinion IS pronounced. They're part of the old establishment, and they're slowly but surely dying off.

In other parts of the country, racism is just as prevalent - but is shown in a much different manner.

If you take a look at the black population in the United States, you'll see an interesting trend. Go ahead, check it out.

15. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I'm only being honest. I base my opinions, as a minority, on experiences. Not what someone else tells me I should experience. Most of the south is definitely changing while maintaining that "down home" niceness. We had battery problems a few times before we could get a new one. Someone local ALWAYS helped.
    In oklahoma we stopped the place we got the clothing the place is probably 5000 or so population. We also stopped at a mexican food place (I know, why go to mexican food in the us) and there we talked to one of the owner's wives (from mexico also) and she said they had experienced nothing but kindness, helping the non english kids learn english, no racism at all. I know there is racism, but it seems to be mostly white people wearing out the word.
    Want to see bigotry based on skin color? Come to mexico.

Sorry if my actually thinking the majority of people in the us are decent offends anyone.

The worst racists are the behind the back and smile in your face type, THOSE are more prevalant in ca.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If someone chooses to fund an event and have rules about who gets in and who doesn't, that is their right to do so.

It's offensive, but unless this is some tax payer funded event, I don't care.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

"Racism is acceptable unless my money is somehow involved".

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Depends on where you are. In some places, dances, proms and graduation parties are official school events. In others, particularly places such as described above, they are "private".

In most locales, this level of overt racism is confined to older people (that is, my contemporaries). However, the whole gun control "debate" has exposed the more subtle version a bit -- all the people who think they need an AR-15 to protect themselves from --- what? I say "debate" because rational public debate on gun control is extremely rare.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

Lol. What do guns have to do with racism?

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I would say in either case (again forgot to clarify this) that they shouldn't be able to advertise a segregated event in any way through the school or associate it with the school system in any way. It shouldn't be private yet still tied to or promoted through the public school system in any way with such rules in place.

21. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Proms are generally not a private event. I would venture to guess most schools actually put them on and fund them. I know all the ones around here do. But they are held off school grounds.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I know I've heard them referred to repeatedly as private events or technically that way since I was in high school. I just wasn't thinking about it earlier. As you can tell, my big issue is with associating segregated events with something tied to the school system. I don't think such things should be publicly funded or promoted.

23. vega07 macrumors 65816

I will never be able to understand this argument.

Do you have no moral conviction? Do you live your life on the sidelines and watch, without guilt, people being treated unfairly?

If everyone were like you, do you think we'd achieve any social progress?

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

People have property rights and freedom of speech rights and freedom of association rights.

You cannot sedate all the things you hate. There are some people that don't like you, and what nothing to do with you. That's reality. Learn to live with this fact. If it's not your dollars at work, or the state or the feds, and they aren't curtailing your civil rights, then leave them in peace, ignorant and "enlightened" alike.

25. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

As much as I hate this whole thing....Technarchy has a point.

But it's still associated with the school. I can't believe this hasn't gotten press before now.