George Bush would have Endorsed Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by barkomatic, Nov 10, 2010.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apparently, during the 2008 election campaign Bush told some British dignitaries that he probably would not vote for McCain and, in fact, would have endorsed Obama if he were asked. (He ended up endorsing McCain) This comes as quite a shock. A lot of interesting insights have come to light recently about Bush's Presidency--as a result of his new book.

It would have been absolutely sensational if a sitting Republican President had endorsed the Democratic candiate during an election year--or vice/versa. Even now, the current GOP leadership cannot be happy with these revelations--if they are true.

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2010/11/bush-i-probably-wont-even-vote-for-mccain/

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Well, they're both advocates for big government. They have many of the exact same views. I agree though, that would have been quite sensational. Remember how big of a deal it was when Colin Powell endorsed him? And Colin Powell is essentially a Democrat. Then again, McCain is a big government advocate as well... guess Bush must have gotten all caught up in the 'Change' slogans like everyone else! ;)

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Or the more likely explanation is that the Republican party has moved so far to the right, even GWB can't stomach them.

5. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

I have to say, if this news is part of the marketing campaign for Bush's book--its working. I might just have to read it.

He's been interviewed by Matt Lauer and has discussed some other interesting topics. He regrets some things, but stands behind other decisions.

One item had to do with the TARP bailouts. (Many people still believe that this program was Obama's idea--when in fact it was President Bush who was responsible for starting the bailout.) He was told by his top advisors that if he "didn't do something" the country would be facing a depression.

As much as I disagree with much of what Bush did during his Presidency, I'm glad he was able to transend his party philosophy and put into place a program that prevented an economic collapse. It seems like we're headed for an era where our leaders may become more doctrinaire and a conservative President in a similar situation may have just let everything fall apart believing that somehow the free market would fix everything in the long run.

6. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Maybe George knew that by endorsing McCain it was helping Obama win.

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Considering his approval rating at that time, it wouldn't be the craziest revelation ever.

George: "John, I've decided I'm going to be endorsing you later this week."
    John: "What? No - er, I mean that's great Mr. President... maybe we should plan this out a bit further though. Let's hold off on t....."
    George: "Nonsense, I'll be appearing on the Today Show tomorrow morning, and we'll get this thing done. Be on the look-out for your lead in the polls to increase even more!"

Click

John: "Good God."
    George: "This will ruin him for sure."

:rolleyes: ;)

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

There's bad blood between Bush and McCain. Remember how vicious Bush & Company was toward McCain in the 2000 primary.

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Its gunna be great its gunna be fine don't even worry about it.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Conspiracy theory: Knowing the severity (and likely duration) of the looming economic collapse, and the massive disapproval ratings, and the limited memory and patience of the electorate, the Republicans threw 2008 with eyes on 2010 and 2012. ;):rolleyes:

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Link