George R R Martin's The Song of Ice and Fire

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CortexRock, Sep 18, 2007.

1. CortexRock macrumors 6502

A little thread for fans of GRRM's magnificent tale set in the world of Westeros. Here's the place to discuss plot, characters and ideas, or any new developments (like the upcoming HBO dramatisation).

Have at it, Ser! ;)

2. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    OK, I'll bite...

* Anyone want to take a bet on when "Dance with Dragons" (coming Fall 2006!) will really be released?

* Favorite characters: Arya Stark, Jon Snow, Danerys Targaryen

* Who knows more about the HBO thing? I think HBO or one of its subsidiaries got the rights to Honor Harrington as well...

3. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

My bet on DWD - sometime in late 2008, judging by GRRM's last post on the subject on his website.

Favourite characters: Jaime Lannister, Tyrion Lannister and Brandon Stark - they're much less two dimensional than some, and have great potential to develop. I wonder if these choices say anything about my ability to relate to real people? Lol!

There is mention of Ice and Fire on IMDB, and GRRM is on board apparently. It needs Pro membership of the site to get any more info than that though. Any bets on who might play who?

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Let me say that Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is by far and away my favorite fantasy work since I first read Tolkien's Lord of the Rings when I was much younger. It is the only series that comes close to the Old Master's level of work. I say that even though ASoIaF is unfinished. My hope is Martin tops himself in the next three books - seven are planned - but I also realize it is possible he could let us all down. Regardless, I'm waiting in anticipation of the next book, A Dance of Dragons, which I expect to be out next year. I also understand there is a third story in the Dunk and Egg series (two novellas so far,) a work set in the same world but in a earlier time period than ASoIaF, that should be out shortly there after.

As to the HBO series, I understand the first draft of a script has been produced. Martin talks about it in an interview he did with Publisher's Weekly.

About the story itself, I'm hesitant to say too much for fear of spoiling a wonderful experience for those who haven't read Martin's series yet. If you have read the entire four books already released, then there are a couple of websites I can recommend - Westeros and the Tower of the Hand. DON'T GO TO EITHER SITE IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ALL OF THE BOOKS!!! The spoilers are everywhere.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I can voucher for the awesomeness of ASoIaF. It's my second favorite fantasy series of all time (so far that is. I've not read A Feast for Crows yet, it's coming out in paperback next month).

(Yeah, second. Thomas Covenant is first. I stand ready to welcome any flames!)

6. Alexfan1 macrumors newbie

A Storm of Swords--Plot Point

Can someone help me clear up a plot point from A Clash of Kings?:confused:
    When Catelyn Tully is questioning Jaime Lannister in the dungeon of Riverrun (pp. 789-799), Jaime says the following in response to Catelyn's doubting that he (Jaime) slew Aerys Targaryen to avenge Brandon Stark (p. 798):

"I made no such claim. The Starks were nothing to me. I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

Who exactly is the "one" Jaime is referring to? And, what exactly is the "kindness" he is talking about? I am fairly certain that the "finest act" refers to his slaying of the King (Targaryen), but I'd appreciate confirmation of that as well.

Thanks a bunch!!
    :)

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

First, have you read all the books? If you haven't don't read the spoiler in white below.

The "one" is his brother Tyrion and the "kindness" is what Tyrion believes he did to bring Tysha and Tyrion together. You're right about his "finest act."

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Refresh my memory, who is Tysha?

(If it's revealed in Feast of the Crows, which I haven't read yet, then nevermind)

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Do me a favor and edit your quote of my post so the white text doesn't show in the grey quote box, ok?

Tysha is Tyrion's wife whom he married at thirteen. Her story is told in the first book as Tyrion sits at a campfire with Bronn. Any more I'm hesitant to say.

10. Alexfan1 macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for clearing that up:)--it makes perfect sense now. Tysha (or at least the memory of her) is Tyrion's link to Jaime--the only member of his family he really values. He destests his father(Tywin), and only has a grudging respect for Cersei as an adversary--to the extent he can use her to advance his own agenda at King's Landing. Brilliant of GRRM to suggest that familial bonds (Jaime--Tyrion) are held together by only the very slenderest of threads: the memory of 13-year old common girl/prostitute. I detect in Jaime a lifelong lingering guilt over the whole Tysha incident--he clearly feels for Tyrion.

11. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Just wanted to bump this and say that GRRM has announced A Dance With Dragons is near completion, and his publisher has announced a September 2008 (only two years late) release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dance_with_Dragons

Of course, given GRRM's track record, I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

12. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks FoxyKaye - it's been a while, but I'm ready for another trip to Westeros! :D

13. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Love these books and glad to find this thread.

The September 2008 is an estimate that has been places like Amazon.com for about two months or so. GRRM has stated that when the book is finished, right after his publishers and his special lady friend know, he'll post about it here:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Anything short of a date there, according to him, is an estimate.

But I'm anxious and so looking forward, if for no other reason than the majority of my favorite characters weren't present in A Feast for Crows.

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Reminds me of my old thread....

About time the damn book came out....

i mean, he wrote Crows and Dragons as one book....so it's been done for years! ya ya, he went back and changed a bunch of stuff....but I still don't get why it takes this long....i forget 90% of it now...reading all the above posts it starts to come back..but it's been soooo long since Crows.

BTW George RR is the best thing going.....and I may sound bitter but I'll be giggling like a five year old when Dragons comes out.

Truly the best book series right now...

15. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry about hijacking your idea, qbc... I hadn't seen your thread before I created this one *looks accusingly at Forum Search* :D

16. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

As this is closely related to the thread's topic - anyone tried out the Game Of Thrones boardgame? It plays alot like Risk, but with a twist due to special action tokens that somewhat limit your (and your opponents') actions, introducing much more strategic elements.