George st Sydney, Australia 4S launch

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by daviddth, Oct 8, 2011.

1. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Well we will be there about 9:30 pm thurs night (wife starting off then me and kids there at 1am or so). Kids will do anything for a day off school lol

2. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

Wont be there at launch but let us know how you go. Hoping to pick one up on the 25/26 from George street....

3. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I'll update this post with tweet info so you can stay updated. Considering we will be geting them before the US, I wont complain ;)

4. foster5991 macrumors newbie

i will be there from 4am - 5 am, but it is my first time lining up, I'm by myself and only 16 :/ not really sure how ill go

5. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

My wife will be there at 10pm, I should be there 2am or so, so drop down and say hi. We have lined up a few times in the past and it's great fun, but I do suggest that you talk to people around you - it's easy to duck to maccas for the loo so they can mind your spot.

At that time I'd expect you to be heading up to around York Street, but you should be in to the store by 10am or so - they get through people quick :)

6. foster5991 macrumors newbie

thanks heaps, getting in there by 10, they will still have plenty of stock yea?

----------

also will there be more people than usual for the 4S or less because many people have already pe ordered and bought online? cheers

7. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Based on the iPhone 4, yes, but they may have widely different stock levels because of the 6 vs 2 models available this time.

We are aiming for 3 different phones - white and black 16GB and black 64GB here :)

8. foster5991 macrumors newbie

im aiming for a 64gb black as well, great minds think alike ;) haha but ill take what i can get in 32gb or 64gb, also, is it like we walk through the store and choose products or just get to a counter and be like "may i have an iPhone 4S 64gb black, a green iPhone bumper and an apple dock connector"? thank you so much for all this help

with iOS 5 release october 12th and find my friends app being released should be easy to find you haha :)

9. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I'll set it up here and be sharing it for temporary friends on the day, yes :)

The iPhone 4 was ask at the counter, but the iPad 2 they handed out tickets to people waiting in line and thats all you got when inside. I think I liked that idea as the iPhone 4 had some people cutting in line, we had one group of 6 infront buying 4 phones each (even though there was a 2 limit) by getting inside and then going to seperate people and saying "Oh I got one, but can I get 1 more for my wife/son etc"

The iPad2 idea meant that you knew they had the right item for you when you got there as they had the correct tag volume for what they had in stock - may have taken more time and work by staff, but was great for customers.

10. foster5991 macrumors newbie

oh k, how did they hand out the tickets? and to the whole line or just the few 100m or something similar? so they would ask you in line what you wanted and give you a corresponding ticket?

11. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

with the iPad 2 they handed out tickets and friends well down York St had no dramas getting the one they wanted. We were 40th in line thanks to over 12hrs in the queue, so we had no problem getting what we wanted lol

They went around about 2 or 3pm or so and asked what you wanted, gave you a ticket and wandered off. They did literally thousands of people, as we were taking turns to sit in line or walk around and chat. Oh and interviews are fun as the TV and Radio stations love families and idiots who line up for hours for Apple items - I did 2 TV and 3 radio interviews :D

12. foster5991 macrumors newbie

haha i bet the interviews were fun, but at the moment i just plan to get in, wait, get what i want and get out, maybe if i had some people i knew to stay with i wouldn't be so nervous about the whole thing

13. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

It is nerve wracking, but also a lot of fun. I'll PM you my number later in the week so we can keep in touch if you need a placeholder for a while - we should be able to spare a child to do that lol

14. foster5991 macrumors newbie

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I bet it rains. It rained for iPhone 3G, it POURED when we did our iPad 2 launch.

Bet it rains...

16. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Did not get wet for the iPad2 or iPhone 4, but we were lucky being under cover for the few showers on iPad 2 launch day. It is predicted to rain in Sydney Thursday night, but we will have to wait and see :)

17. foster5991 macrumors newbie

Ive convinced my mum to join me in my wait on Friday :)

18. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Good work - we may be getting there a bit earlier than expected, with luck :)

19. daviddth thread starter macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Well it's all over and done for another launch, and I thought I would share my thoughts on the George St launch.

For the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 launch we had a constant stream of Apple staff all day (and night for the 4), chatting, asking us if we wanted drinks, providing snacks and coffees from local businesses. That was a great feeling - it made us think we were important to the company, and made the whole thing a whole lot of fun.

the iPhone 4A launch was totally different. Surrounded by mostly non-English speakers, we had fun chatting to a Japanese gentleman struggling to learn our rather hard language. I think we taught him more words in the 12 hours we were all there than he knew before he arrived. Snacks were non-existant, but the maccas down the road helped feed the inner hunger. I remember the iPhone 4 launch had one company offering cheap coffee's and rolls from a hand-cart and we bought quite a few from them, but this release they were nowhere to be seen.

By midnight the line stretched up King Street to York Street and the only Apple staff were the security seen in the store's ground floor. 5am and Apple staff were seen busy inside the store, probably preparing the upgraded iPhone displays, but nobody was outside. An hour or so bit later they began handing out tickets for the phones (First seen with the iPad 2 launch here).

We were eventually offered a drink of water (oh only 1 bottle between the 4 of us, even though myself and both kids said "yes please") by Apple staff about 7AM.

The only time I felt we were not a bother was when the photographer on the day remembered us from the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 launches (and even where we were in line both times!!!) had a chat as he took our pics once again.

No runs and high-fives, or even parades of staff this time, and we probably saw 10 or so staff in total outside, eithor with drinks, tickets or with the photographer...

Inside the store things were different, but not quite up to Apples usual standard. Loads of high-fives inside, drumming, yelling and smiles. We got the 3 phones painlessly, but when we tried to get the micro-sims swapped over, we may as well have asked to be whipped... No micro-sims for Telstra pre-paid "Apparently", meaning we left with only one working phone out of three (my upgrade was from iPhone 4, the others were 3G and 3GS). We are 2+hrs away from the city, and our local Telstra store is as close to useless as you can get, so no point going there.

The Telstra store across the road wanted us to wait an hour or so to get the sims swapped (there were plentyof people in line to get the phones there too, so I cant blame them), and after 13 hours in line & then in the store, my wife and son were NOT happy at all. Out to Penrith where the Apple store there did not have anything byt Telstra contract sims, not pre-paid, so down to the T-Life store to get the sims, and back up to the Apple store to get the phone working.

All in all it was a pretty poor experience compared to previous launches, so I'm not sure if we will bother again in the future.