George Stephanopoulos: A Totally Unbiased Journalist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, May 14, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

An ex-Clinton White House staffer, now a journalist on national television, gives $75,000 to the Clinton Foundation...and forgets to tell anybody about it.

Did George believe his (ahem) "journalistic" neutrality would remain undiscovered and unquestioned? How could someone with his experience make such a colossal error in judgment? I would think members of the Power Elite keep people around who are paid to prevent this kind of mistake.

I like Stephanopoulos and don't think he should be fired over this, but he can't now provide serious coverage of the presidential campaign. Also, this is another example of the unhealthy cross-fertilization of entertainment, politics, and journalism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/15/u...os-discloses-gifts-to-clinton-foundation.html

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Do you know if he violated his news contract by making the donation?

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I doubt it since ABC since they are "100% behind him." George is intelligent enough to know what that really means.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He was a Sr. Advisor to Clinton, how can anyone think he's anything but biased. That said, it's charitable organization, not a political one. At least it was until the race for President started.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They were burning and turning political donations well before the presidential election. Got to grease the wheels.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing his interviews, and complete refusal to do follow up questions when fed absolute lies from politicians...when exactly was Snuffalufagus ever considered a neutral journalist by anyone other than the mainstream (and therefore corporate) media? :confused:

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I've seen George on some morning TV show once in while. He seemed pretty conservative and conventional to me.

This paragraph is not logical. He's a journalist. Does his employer consider giving to charities a conflict of interest? If so, did he disclose it to his employer? Do we know? In any case, the Power Elite?!?!? The Koch brothers are the power elite. The Walton Family. Larry Ellison and Tom Perkins. Stephanopoulos is a kind of information butler to the power elite.

Well, I agree with you about 5%. Somewhere between Walter Cronkite and Tom Brokaw, TV News stopped being "objective news" and became just another form of entertainment. You can see that full time on Fox News. You have to read a newspaper to see people at least trying to keep the news pages and the editorial pages distinct.

George Stephanopoulos has been an advisor to the Democratic Party at the same time as being the big kahuna at ABC News. So, although I agree that it really sucks that news, entertainment, and politics are so intertwined, I don't see that George has changed anything.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I would think his producer would require him to keep the Clinton's beyond arm's length just to ensure there's no conflicts of interest, real or perceived. And, thus such a donation would be in violation of his contract and his producer's orders.

However, I think Stephanopoulos has failed a basic test of ethics in journalism.

As the Society for Professional Journalists spells it out:

Personally, I won't donate to groups that I cover or could cover as a reporter.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

Ever try to get the weather report by turning on The Weather Channel? It, too is all about entertainment for the most part. It's s sign of the 24 hours 7 days/ 365 days a year cycle.

10. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He did not disclose it to his employer, and he had been making donations for several years. I don't know if ABC News considers it a conflict of interest, but he should have informed viewers, particularly when covering the Clinton Foundation.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media...discloses-contribution-to-clinton-207120.html

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Your list of the "power elite" conspicuously excludes Tom Steyr, George Soros, or any big Democratic donor. No doubt an innocent oversight.

Anyway, Stephanopoulos can get a former president on the phone in an instant. That is power, and anyone who drops $75,000 on their favorite charity without a second thought is elite in my view of things.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What do you imagine they'd say in that phone call?

(besides, "Hey Hillary, how about an interview?")

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

George: "Mr. President, I hoped you appreciated my latest obsequious, fawning report on Hillary. I hope you'll put in a word when President-elect Clinton is looking for her new press secretary."

Bill: "George, absolutely. You didn't work this hard for us when you worked for us."

14. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

OMG a conservative democrat gave a conservative democrat money?!

The horror!..... Oh my!

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A little down payment on a future position?

It's not a bad theory.

Not the highest level of power brokering, but a job is a job.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He makes $8 million a year as a TV "journalist", why the hell would he want to leave that?

17. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Good question. Maybe he feels he has enough money already and misses the excitement of politics.