George W. Bush: John McCain is "ready to lead this nation."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Sep 2, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

George W. Bush officially put his stamp of approval on John McCain's candidacy and conservative policies.
    Bush: McCain "understands the lessons" of Sept 11.

What lessons did republicans learn on 9/11? Let's discuss the role of Bush's endorsement. Good or bad?

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

That's like getting a recommendation from Stalin for chairman of Amnesty International.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Fear wins elections?

A Bush endorsement? The term "damning with faint praise" springs to mind.

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

let's just say i don't think it was bush's idea to do this speech via satellite.

5. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Word.

I know I'm not the target for this speech, since I can't look at W. without getting a little ill, but still. Not helpful.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

.. And in related news, rumors are circulating that President George W. Bush is actually a monkey. When asked to comment, he shimmied up a tree and flung poo at the press.

BL.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

How can Bush say McCain is ready to lead this country? He has no experience to draw upon.

8. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

Bush: "We need McCain. We live in a dangerous world, and we need a president who understands the lessons of September 11, 2001: that to protect America, we must stay on the offense, stop attacks before they happen and not wait to be hit again."

^^ those words parody themselves.

Cheney is speaking tomorrow. Maybe he will tout McCain's energy policy?:rolleyes:

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

President Bush never mentioned where McCain would lead it.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i love how quick all you bash on President Bush. Who is to say the Democrats wouldn't have done the same if Gore or Kerry were elected

It's not as if the Democrats are blame free either. Look at what they are doing with control of the congress......... Look at Nancy Pelosi.....need I say more?

as far as President Bush's endorsement, I dont think it will harm McCain. It would be more harmful if he didnt endorse him

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

What, by the same do you mean take us into an unending war against people who did not attack us, put out economy on the brink of recession, see oil prices rise to record levels and the housing market crash, preside over a weak dollar, throw away our foreign relationships with allies, all while pissing on our leg and telling us it was raining? I would place money that either Gore or Kerry would have avoided at least most parts of "the same."

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

ummmmmm yeeeeeahhhhh:rolleyes:

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

most of those issues were set in motion before Bush took presidency. The dollar and housing had alot to do with what greenspan did back in the 90's....you know during Clinton's presidency

i agree that Bush wasn't the best or even close and has hurt our reputation. However, to say that he is solely to blame while the Democrats now control congress and nothing significant has happened should say something

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

How, in your opinion, are Democrats to blame? What are they doing with control of Congress? And, what can we learn by "looking" at Nancy Pelosi.

Yes, I think you should say more.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I doubt the Democrats would have done the same. I agree with your second point, but not for the reason you've listed. Anyone of them that says they were "mislead" or "hijacked" are either liars or morons.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Good God, im not saying they are only to blame. just saying everything that Nancy Pelosi stood for while campaigning has pretty much went by the wayside

Congress is now controlled by the Democrats and yet, nothing has changed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/21/pelosis-failure/
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=5398479

people are just as displeased with this congress as they are with Bush and for good reason

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, again I'm asking for particulars about why you think Democrats aren't "blameless" but rather responsible for the last year.

Secondly, remember that the Democrats barely control the Senate with 49 members, while 2 are independent. In the House, Democrats have 233 members, just a slightly majority. An obstructionist Republican minority can halt most bills in its tracks in both houses.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I turned on the television and thought I was watching the USA Prize Swine Judging Competition, but in fact it was the RNC. :p

Bush is a leper to the republicans at this point. Nobody in their right mind will want anything to do with him, no matter how much he wants to give his help and endorsement.

19. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Bush isn't a terrible president. The media has just treated him like another Dan Quayle in the hopes of getting a liberal into office. The huge success of the surge, despite the media's death predictions at every turn, only show their bias. And yet how many articles about Iraq have you seen lately? Has the media apologized for its misconceptions?

Bush has stood up to the media through 8 years, despite the fact they can see no good in him no matter what he does. Fortunately, he hasn't crumbled like Quayle, even though that was the media's intention.

Bush's endorsement should be a good thing at this point, but the media will certainly try use it against him.

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Yeah, the media hates him. That's why they fought him tooth and nail on the whole invasion thing. But hey, the surge worked, so all is forgiven, right?

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ha right. i consider myself conservative but the media is displeased with him for good reason. there is no evidence to support going to Iraq other than a personal vendetta. this alone has hurt america's image across the world. this is not to say i am against Bush on everything, in fact i support him more than i disagree but there are some huge mistakes

if this video doesnt shout hypocrisy, i dont know what does
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cihqYdqGXpk&feature=related

22. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

Obama's central attack on John McCain is that his presidency would essentially be a continuation of Bush's presidency. and he's right. and McCain doesn't deny it. so the endorsement could be used against him.

Al Gore absolutely would not have invaded Iraq. - even though his running mate, lieberman is the one who authored the resolution to invade -

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Me too, it means people understand what a vile pig of a human being that man really is.

24. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

He's been the worst president your country has ever had. If not the very worst, he's right up there.

Yeah, what a wonderful 'success'. You swallow that sort of nonsense down with your conflakes, do you. I guess my definition of success differs for yours.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thread over with first reply :D