George Zimmerman unveils Confederate flag painting to benefit ‘Muslim free’ gun shop owner

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Aug 18, 2015.

1. rdowns, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

George Zimmerman, an American Dick with little to no job skills nor much in the way of employment, has found a way to earn some money by joining forces with another American Dick, Andrew Hallinan, he of the no Muslims in my store buying guns fame.

TL;DR- Non-racist George Zimmerman sells not at all racist Confederate flags at non-racist gun shop.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...federate-flag-painting-sale-article-1.2328853

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is the kind of imagery, action, and rhetoric when combined, gets things blowed up, burned down, and people murdered. Bravo George and Andy.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm shocked that George Zimmerman is a racist who supports a symbol of slavery. Shocked, I tell ya.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

There is no way this is real. The Daily News just picked up an Onion article off their feed.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Zimmerman would do well to stay out of the public eye. He is a fundamentally stupid man.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Free speech unfortunately includes things others might not like.

Piss Christ is okay, as is the dung Vigin Mary, in fact it is celebrated and merits gallery and museum showings.

Muslims don't like free speech because they demonstrate it by killing the ones who draw imagery they don't agree with. They also don't agree with homosexuality and kill gays. They also practice misogyny on women. How is it that this outrage is given a pass?

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That was my first thought too. Because satire doesn't get much better than that.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You really don't get it, do you?

If the Piss Christ etc. had been displayed in a gallery that loudly proclaimed that it was banning Christians from entering - you might, possibly be getting close to an analogy. If Piss Christ flags had been proudly waved by mobs of aetheists as they castrated, lynched, and burned Christians - you might, sorta, have a point.

And if Andres Serrano had murdered a Catholic Priest and then escaped conviction on a technicality, you might be getting warm on the coherent political/social argument.

But of course, none of those things happened. Did they?

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Just to clarify are you saying that the latter is the outrage or the former is the same as the latter in the outrage department?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

free speech + capitalism.

no laws being broken.
    do they have their go fund me campaign set up already?

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

was there a doubt once?

as mentioned in post one, the guy has pretty much little to no options. doubt anyone wants to hire him.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I think he is pointing out the duplicity of liberals who are more than happy to crap on the Christians while being outraged at any perceived slight towards muslims.
    muslim woman wearing a scarf should be protected while tim tebow wearing 3:14 is to be ridiculed.

or something to that extent.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I say he has every right to hang the confederate flag wherever he wants, and badmouth Muslims til the cows come home. That is his right. If he wants to be an ass, he's welcome to it. And Zimmerman can do it right alongside him.

What isn't his right is to explicitly ban Muslims from his store. Civil Rights Act and all.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

but per the video he would ONLY ban those who refuse to renounce Jihad.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hmm, but he speaks of killing and misogyny which no liberals I know give these actions a pass. You'd agree that free speech and expression, while some can find it objectionable, exist in a different realm then murder and sexual subjugation?

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. I think what he is trying to point out is that Liberals are pretty much silent when it comes to Muslims.
    2. yes I do.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So he would only ban Muslims who renounce Jihad, which is "the religious duty of Muslims to maintain the religion. In Arabic, the word jihād is a noun meaning "to strive, to apply oneself, to struggle, to persevere."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

So in other words he'd only ban religious Muslims?

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Still stupid, because it's based upon the ignorant assumption that all Muslims secretly support Jihad. It's like forcing Christians to apologize for the actions of the Army of God before they can walk through your door. It's stupid and wrong.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't recall if he made a distinction between jihad and jihad against the U.S. , his video was horrible to watch.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the guy is from Florida and SOME of the stories that come out of there are not the greatest, I am sure not ALL of FL is the same but.....................

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You do get some goofiness out of Florida from time to time, but I don't think ALL of it's like that, no.

It's never wise to condemn an entire group of people upon the actions of a few.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, actually, there are laws being broken.

Specifically Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; which bars discrimination on the basis of color, gender, religion or ethnicity. Numerous Court opinions have extended the Public
    Accommodations provisions of the Civil Right Act to include retail establishments such as this Florida gun store.

Nobody here is suggesting that George Zimmerman should be banned from creating or displaying his horrible paintings. Nobody is suggesting that outraged liberal activists threaten George Zimmerman's life; or vandalize or otherwise attempt to destroy the work.

What we are doing is remarking upon the racist; idiotic; and ultimately illegal nature of the sentiments expressed by that artwork.

Again: Its not illegal for George Zimmerman to create his Confederate-themed flag. It is illegal to discriminate against Muslims (or any other religious group) in a retail store. George Zimmerman - via his artwork - is expressing support for actions that are contrary to a half-century of established Civil Rights legislation.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am not, just like anyplace else, you will only get the bad as that is what gets audiences.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am NOT that interested in watching that video again, BUT, IIRC he stated he would have no problems with Muslims AS long as they were willing to renounce jihad (against the U.S) I guess.

perhaps his was of painting all muslims the same while pretending it only applies to those who are not willing to do terrorist acts in the U.S.