Georgia ACLU director resigns over transgender fight

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Jun 2, 2016.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

Georgia ACLU director resigns over transgender fight

Maya Dilliard Smith, the former executive director of Georgia’s ACLU chapter:

“I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she writes. “My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”

-> The ACLU declined to comment on Smith’s resignation, citing personnel matters, but a top official circulated a memo to staff arguing that restroom rights are often center stage in civil rights battles. James Esseks, director of the organization’s LGBT & HIV project, said other minorities, including blacks, gays and the disabled, had to wage similar fights for equality in bathrooms.

Maya Dilliard Smith: “In a statement she accused the ACLU of being “a special interest organization that promotes not all, but certain progressive rights. In that way, it is a special interest organization not unlike the conservative right, which creates a hierarchy of rights based on who is funding the organization’s lobbying activities.””

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/06/02/georgia-aclu-director-resigns-over-transgender-fight/

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Good riddance. Nobody belongs as director of the ACLU if they don't even want to fight for all Americans' civil liberties.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if only they helped more with the 2nd.................... yes they do take of few select cases. I agree she does not belong there if all rights don't matter to her that much, it is HER fault SHE was not equipped to answer her daughters questions.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I did not know that our rights to engage in cross-dressing fetishes are threatened. By whom?

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

fashion police? are you seriously going to wear that dress with those shoes?
    [​IMG]

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm still confused over this "transgender fight." I'm positive that cross-dressing and other fetishes are perfectly legal in the United States. Perhaps they are fighting to force people to use the pronoun "Xe" instead of "he" or "she." However, I'm quite confidant that the right to use "he" or "she" is protected by the First Amendment. One would expect the ACLU to understand that.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Probably straight men who dress up like chicks to go into wrong bathrooms for a cheap thrill...

Look, the estimated number of trans people is very small. Much smaller than the GLBT population, which is virtually nothing compared to the general population yet virtually gigantic compared to the number of GLBT people that want to marry because most of 'em say how marriage is outdated, archaic, unevolved, and so on.

That's 0.3%

oH ThE HUmAnItY!!!!1!!11!!!!!12

With the current "political climate", it's amazing how all the trans people popped out of the woodwork to go into the bathroom of their choice all of a sudden and solely to scare certain groups of people.

Yup, 700,000 people in a nation of about 310,000,000. Not even 1,000,000. So, in perspective, some of these people live in a closeted ghetto or they're pulling our legs in being oh-so-afraid OR are impostors getting a cheap thrill.

So paranoia is probably a part of why people are acting like "Chicken Little on Crack".

ACLU = 1st. NRA = 2nd, once they strip out nearly half the words to the official written amendment... The ALCU would likely defend any one or any organization trying to dismantle words from the 2nd Amendment as much as it would defend those wanting the WHOLE of the phrase to remain unaltered and original meaning intact.

8. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

'Nuff said.

9. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The ACLU is the biggest joke in the civil rights community. It's been taken over by leftists eager to advance the homosexual and transgender/transvestite agenda. Back in 1993, they supported the RFRA; now they're against it.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Which is what exactly? Can you get me a copy? I keep hearing about this "agenda" but somehow never get my copy and I am feeling out of the loop. So if you could provide me a copy that would be great. Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2016 ---
    Where does she expect transgendered people to go to the restroom? I also find it funny that men never seem to have problems taking their daughters into the men's room with them. How come the deep voiced men aren't scaring children in that restroom?

This preoccupation over where transgendered people go to the restroom is an absolute bunch of nonsense.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you are not working to make me fabulous? but I bought 6" stiletto heels and I need to learn how to walk in them......
    equal rights are soooooo evil, how DARE anyone want to be equal? the horror I tell you.

12. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

This Executive director saw the light.

Parents have rights. Perpetrating this sickness on children is evil. Worse when it's a federal executive order. Worse still, when you slather on fines and financial ruin for those who do not march in lockstep and utilize the so-called correct terminology. People are expected to deny what they legitimately see with thier own eyes. Radical homosexual agenda, known by what's been played out thus far, is turning off a nation and the depths of its depravity is what's turning tides.

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

And now he's out of a job. What a crap world.

14. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

What - Racism? Stupid people? The director is a smart African American mom whose kids are alarmed and she's calling out the situation.

15. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Then she is obviously a bigot. Burn her! Wreck her world! :rolleyes:

(Not that I have any sympathy for the ACLU or their staff)

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

So are cross-dressing, transvestism, and other sexual fetishes illegal? Interesting that no-one wants to answer that question.

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

That's amazing! Just weeks after the hullabaloo over transgender rights, someone who doesn't like it just happens to have an experience with not one, not two, but three obviously-male people from a group that consists of less than half a percent of the population entering the same women's bathroom, causing a scene, and scaring their kids. I mean, I don't think the chances of winning Powerball are this remote. Bravo!
    What agenda is that? To have the same rights you do? Or is there something else really sinister?

18. MadeTheSwitch, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Uh huh. I've been hearing this silly "turning tides" argument for decades. Instead things keep going the other way for you. I know you desperately want there to be a turning point, but it is just wishful thinking on your part.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You are right. It does not pass the smell test .

20. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Elimination of parental rights.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Equal access to a restroom ends your parental rights?
    Was the lying female in question not allegedly in the same bathroom as her daughter? Plenty of parents take their kids to opposite sex restrooms w/o any freaking problems

22. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Elimination of parental rights by Obama's Federal decree. Parents of the children K-12 exposed to this are compelled into it; doubled down with fineable offenses for not using the correct language that defies what their eyes see in reality. And lying female in question? Next thing you'll say is that she never worked in a leadership position at the ACLU.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if you don't like the fed then DON'T take money from them. I seriously don't get why restrooms are such a huge issue here. IIRC the womens restroom has stalls with doors so wtf is the problem? the perception of "safety"? it's amazingly naive to think that predators are only of the opposite sex. I think she is lying to make her perceived point. as sammy said it was pretty convenient for her to meet not one, but 3 transgenders at the same time.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, and her young children reacted badly. Bravo Sierra. Kids don't hate, they have to be taught to.

25. samiwas macrumors 65816

Obama only made an order regarding transgender students. Not public bathrooms or guys coming after you in Target. So, would you rather a student who is male, but looks and acts female go into the boys restroom, only to be assaulted for being a girl in the boys room?

And whose rights are more important?