Georgia executes likely innocent man

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 21, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Disgusting, just ****ing disgusting. 7 or 9 witnesses recant and no one in our ****ed up blood thirsty legal system can grant the guy a new trial? Excuse my French here, but this just has my blood boiling.

Actually, "executes" isn't the right word. The thread title should read "Georgia murders likely innocent man" because that's what this is - state sanctioned murder.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44592285/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

In the meantime, another guy on death row gets a stay. Hmm, no mention of a majority of the witnesses recanting there. I hate playing the race card, but a white guy gets a stay for seemingly no reason, but the black guy can't get a stay even though most witnesses recanted their testimony? I really don't know what else it is....

The US is in great company with Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, most of Africa:
    [​IMG]

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

If I was at home on my Mac I'd post my fail GIF....

What a true miscarriage of justice.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This is why I'm against the death penalty.

No....matter....what.

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Exactly - if it takes letting some clearly guilty scumbag like Timothy McVeigh live the rest of his life in prison to avoid executing an innocent man, then so be it.

5. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

This is what his attorneys claim, but the justices didn't buy it. What evidence is there that the witnesses did recant significant evidence of his guilt or innocence? In addition, his claims of innocence up to his death don't mean that he isn't guilty of the charge of murder. He said he didn't do the murder himself, but that isn't a requirement for a murder conviction. Charles Manson didn't kill anyone himself as far as I know, but he was convicted of multiple murders.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

They all signed affadvaits....beyond that, with no platform to hear their testimony what else could they do?

And it appears he was convicted on eyewitness accounts, as there was no DNA evidence placing him at the scene of the crime. Nor did they ever find the murder weapon. The police confiscated clothing from his home, but it was not allowed at trial because of illegal seizure of the evidence.

So, at the very least they should have been able to present the testimony of the witnesses who recanted and then decide their validity.

7. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

If you believe in the Death Penalty (I don't) your standard should be an ironclad case, not an irregular case. Death is final. Life in prison would be more appropriate where an un-do is a possibility. Charles Manson ironically is living a life in prison.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yea, I agreed with the calls and even signed a petition (if that would even help) to get this man a stay of execution. What's troubling is no murder weapon was found and from what I've read in the news, no real physical link apart from shell casings. With that, I can't justify handing out an execution. Not a good day for Georgia.

9. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Apparently the jury thought it was an ironclad case, as did, it appears, the judges who denied the appeals. Are you suggesting that EVERYONE must agree that the case is ironclad before the death penalty can be applied? How would you ever achieve such a concensus, let along determine whether one exists? My guess is that you would oppose capital punishment even in cases that you yourself observed the defendent commit the murder.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Disgusting.

The great hypocrisy in America today is the millions of people who are "pro-life" until birth, at which point they are pro-death (penalty).

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

No offense, but this is kind of a stupid argument.The same, in reverse, can be said about those who are pro choice until non-birth (of an innocent life), at which point they are anti-death penalty for convicted murderers. Did I say this right?

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

The US is in great company with Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, most of Africa

Now this is just sad, how can the most powerful country be compared to such nations? It's sad honestly :(

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Had it not been a police officer that was killed, he probably would have gotten a new trial. And he should have.

I'm pro-capital punishment.

You're right; playing the race card is foolish. Georgia ≠ Texas. Also, according to the radio in the car this afternoon, the jury who both convicted and recommended sentence was 7 blacks and 5 whites. And as I said above, it was a cop who was murdered, so that probably had an influence as well.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Actually, undo is really not a possibility. It seems that on average the death penalty takes about 20 years to carry out, which is ample time to prove your innocence. If this guy couldn't get himself off the hook in the 22 years since the murder, he probably would have spent the rest of life in prison if there were no death penalty. I would rather die than spend the rest of my life locked in a cage. And as for the ironclad case you speak of, the one i often reference is the connecticut home invasion, that one just makes me sick to my stomach. Also, a man was executed in texas today for tying a black man by his ankles to his pick up truck and dragging him for miles. I fully understand why people are against the death penalty, because i was against it myself for a while, but i had a change of heart and i am now pro-capital punishment.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just out of curiosity what is it in your heart that believes one death deserves another ?

Does the death make you feel better ? . I mean you personally. Not the victim or victims family.

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yes, for me personally, the death of a killer does make me feel better. It just seems unfair that they get to live when they put an innocent victim through so much torture.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I understand how you feel so please don't get me wrong.

If a person murders another human let's say with a single shot to the head. The victim dies instantly. Thus suffering no torture due to dying instantly. The murderer dies like the guy today did. I'm quit sure having a IV with a death drip in it,waiting for 10 hours strapped in a chair would be more torturous than the single shot to the head wouldn't it ? Speaking logically of course.

And what if he was truly innocent.

Would you still feel the same ?

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Excuse me, but I thought we lived in a country where proving oneself to be innocent was not necessary. :confused:

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It is after you're proven guilty, which he apparently was several times.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

He had one trial. How could he have been proven guilty several times ?

21. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

It's not necessary. He was found guilty in spite of his claim of innocence. How many times does he have to be tried?

22. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If he was truly innocent, obviously he should not have been killed, but apparently enough people found enough evidence to convict him, i wasn't part of the jury so i really can't say whether i believe he was guilty or not, neither can anyone really. It's one thing to say "i think he was innocent and shouldn't have been put to death", and a totally different thing to say "im against the death penalty in all cases, and even if he was guilty he shouldn't have been killed". Also, in the case of a single bullet to the head, you are right when you say the victim didn't suffer much, but there are plenty of death penalty cases where the victim suffers much more than the killer put to death. Again i cite the connecticut home invasion and the guy who was executed in texas today for dragging a guy behind his pickup truck.

He had a lot of appeals actually. Part of the reason it took so long to execute him. In the initial trial, it's up to the prosecutor to prove him guilty, in the appeals process it's up to him and his lawyers to prove him innocent.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So a few "innocent deaths" justifies the death penalty ?

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So a few innocent life imprisonments justifies the life in prison penalty? Yes, mistakes do occur (not saying this case was a mistake, i don't know), but that's no reason to get rid of the death penalty. In norway they have a maximum prison sentence of 20 years if im not mistaken, do you think that is a good idea since it releases people from prison just in case they may have been innocent?

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace