Georgia Governor signs heartbeat bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 7, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

And coat-hanger abortions in back alleys will once more be the norm.

Most women don't even know they're pregnant at the point you can hear a heartbeat. I wish the people howling for an abortion ban would pay more attention to actual children. The ones right here in the US who are living in poverty. Don't just damn more children to a life of poverty, hunger, and sickness.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, this law will be challenged in the courts and most likely overturned by SCOTUS.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

as it should be.

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

This is nonsense. Either you believe abortion is murder and evil and therefore should be for the federal gov banning it or you don’t. There’s no in between states should decide. So which is it? Murder or permissible?

7. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

I guess one arbitrary measure is as good as another. And yet to tie the cutoff to the current sensitivity of a particular technology seems like a bad idea.

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Since when is murder a federal crime?
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2019 ---
    Yes it does. Roe was wrongly decided. Oh and murder is not a federal crime.

9. Think creative macrumors regular

That’s your opinion. Roe was not wrongly decided.Also, republicans are against government regulation until it comes to women’s bodies. If anyone think this is a good idea it just proves they are sexist morons.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Yeah. Women should NOT be able to do with their bodies as they please. The govt knows best :rolleyes:

11. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Are you freakin kidding me? Are you that uninformed?https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1111

12. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

In certain cases murder can be a federal crime but in most cases it’s not.
    Yes it was. It’s unconstitutional.

Chief Justice William Rehnquist said it right:
    "the Court necessarily has had to find within the scope of the Fourteenth Amendment a right that was apparently completely unknown to the drafters of the Amendment."
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/410/113#writing-USSC_CR_0410_0113_ZD

Edward Lazarus, former clerk to Justice Harry Blackmun said:
    “As a matter of constitutional interpretation and judicial method, Roe borders on the indefensible. I say this as someone utterly committed to the right to choose. … Justice Blackmun’s opinion provides essentially no reasoning in support of its holding. And in the … years since Roe’s announcement, no one has produced a convincing defense of Roe on its own terms.”

Overturning Roe doesn’t make abortion illegal it lets the states decide.

13. appleisking macrumors 6502a

That's right. Get the government out of people's lives and into their uteruses!
    It's always a federal crime. It may be prosecuted as a state crime but that doesn't mean the feds can't step in and add their own charges.

14. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Glad you feel that women’s reproductive rights are a black and white issue? You must certainly have ovaries and a uterus to make such a well informed balanced decision.
    Source? Who said it was wrongly decided? Women who are directly impacted, or is that just your personal opinion even though the Supreme Court has ruled it constitutional?

15. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Right murder is usually prosecuted as a state crime. So if Roe was overturned it would go back to the states.
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2019 ---
    The Supreme Court also gave us Dred Scott v. Sandford and Plessy v. Ferguson. So I guess you think we should still have segregation?

16. raqball, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

I am all for abolishing Roe, calling it and making it what it really is ----> murder and heck I would not even be opposed to making it ex post facto...

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Why can't people care about both? Why does it have to be one or the other?

For the record I think banning abortions beginning at 6 weeks is a little early, after the 1st trimester is more reasonable in my mind provided the vitality of the baby or the physical health of the mother isn't in question.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

19. raqball macrumors 68000

He does but was he murdered because he was unwanted? I am guessing he was not since he is living his life..

20. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Good luck with that.
    I support the right to choose. I was merely suggesting that the OP is not making an intellectually honest argument

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Look, I don't want to be rude, but ideology only gets you so far. That fetus so cared about might have a horrible life, because once they're born- no one gives a damn about them. Their education, nutrition, parenting, world they're coming into. So that's pretty hypocritical, as arguments go. Funny thing is, thats not even my argument. My argument is that a womens' body is not to be legislated over. Women know whats going on with their bodies, and by my experience are generally smarter period. To discount the gravitas of the responsibility/knowledge that women have with regards to abortion is to be either an idiot or a douchebag.

22. raqball macrumors 68000

Might not need luck if a liberal justice retires and Barret is confirmed. Would make the court 6-3 who lean conservative... I doubt I'll ever see it in my lifetime but hopefully it happens at some point....
    Look, I don't want to be rude, but there are lengthy adoption waiting lists...

23. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Ex post facto laws are banned by the constitution.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

Sadly, in this instance - yes but my comment was about overturning Roe...

25. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Let’s say it was possible. How do you plan on rounding up millions of women who have had abortions and jailing them?