Georgia: IA, MS, SC, SD, and TN ain't got nuthin' on us!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Feb 25, 2011.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Just when you think that idiot legislature is done.. it rears up again, like the return of bell bottoms in the 90s. This time it is Georgia with the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot bill, with representatives wanting to investigate all miscarriages.

Since it is all over various sources, I'll link them and quote one of them.

http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-rights/blog/georgia-rep-investigate-miscarriage/
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/pare...ice-quot-to-investigate-miscarriages-2456986/
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/...The-Uterus-Police-to-Investigate-Miscarriages
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2678322/posts
    http://www.examiner.com/democrat-in...anklin-s-bill-makes-miscarriage-state-concern

Better yet, here is the actual bill:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display.aspx?Legislation=31965

And if it shows up here, and they don't think it is left-wing hysteria, there is definitely a problem:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showth...Investigate-Miscarriages-Create-Uterus-Police

Regardless of your stance on abortion, this is insane. No doubt the bill will be defeated, but still, you'd have to be a complete idiot for even contemplating it, especially for a time when a woman already feels guilty enough that she couldn't save her own child.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG! :eek:

They really have no shame! Do any of them have any idea what a miscarriage can do to some women emotionally? Wow, this really pisses me off. :mad:

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It gets a bit uglier each day. Stay classy Republicans. :rolleyes:

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Appalling, disgusting and actually sick. I have never understood this mad desire on the part of some self-appointed fanatics to control the wombs of women. It is deeply depressing to see such misogyny is still so prevalent in conservative quarters. Women who experience the trauma and upset of a miscarriage need help, not harassment.

Cheers

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Do you have that statement on speed-dial? ;)

Trust the Republican fringe to attempt to bring back the time of women being brood-mares.

WTF is going on??? It's like 1880 all over again. :mad:

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What's going on is an assault against women by the Republicans.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Don't be so rude to people living in 1880.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe I am on safe ground there. :p

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh, come on, you couldn't have been more than three or four then.

I'm just a bit irritated that these yahoos across the country seem to be explicitly trying so hard to out-crazy one another. They're all competing to prove who's the Tea Partiest. Right-wing politicians have gotten the message: bat**** insane sells, the problem with which is that by definition this cannot be a coherent strategy, so all you can do is fling poop around and see what sticks.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Small government, indeed. What kind of bureaucracy will be needed to enforce run a thing?

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sad thing is, how many of these morons were voted in by the Tea Partiers demanding smaller government? A bet quite a few were.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Let's discuss all the reasons why this is unconstitutional and will never see the light of day.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This kind.

14. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

So far, I think we all are in agreement that this is unconstitutional...

I would rather like to see someone's justifications for having it, approval of this bill, and their defense of it.

BL.

15. Rt&Dzine, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Ron Paul reintroduced the Sanctity of Life Act. It defines human life and legal personhood as beginning at conception. It didn't pass, but the anti-choice activists have repeatedly tried and they won't give up.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's not the point. The point is the apparent Nationwide Effort To Restrict Reproductive Rights by the extremist Republicans.

Iowa Bill Allows The "Justifiable Use Of Deadly Force" To Protect The Unborn

Nebraska's Bill Revives "Justifiable Homicide"

Georgia Moves To Criminalize Miscarriages

South Dakota's Pioneering Foray Into "Justifiable Homicide"

Pennsylvania Wants to Regulate Clinics

Kansas Considering Two Laws Limiting Abortions

Virginia Cracks Down on Clinics

House Passes Planned Parenthood Defund

GOP Tries to Redefine Rape

South Dakota Tries Again

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Understood, but you're still left asking the question, what are these sick ****s doing holding a responsible position in government?

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Maybe we could read the actual bill first before we start off on yet another MacRumors ZOMG the South is teh dumb circlejerk?

Emphasis mine.

This is not a bill criminalizing miscarriages; it's just another crap-assed attempt to overturn Roe v. Wade, which even in Georgia, will never pass.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's so many things wrong with that particular passage, I'm not sure where to start, so I'll let this piece explain it:

Honestly, it beggars belief.

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Even if it has no chance in passing, the fact that Bobby Franklin introduced this bill is disgusting. Playing games at the best. Miscarriages could be a felony and potentially carry the death penalty? Fear of the changing world has made these radical conservatives insane. And they claim they want less government interference.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I can see the headlines now "Woman has sex with genetically unfit man, gets pregnant, miscarried and is sent to jail for making a poor choice."

Human involvement is so broad of a term it's meaningless.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

To be completely fair, this single statement is something of a gross exaggeration. It implies that this law (if passed) would cause Georgia to abandon one of the fundamental tenets of common law: that the burden of proof lies upon the prosecution. The accused is not required to prove innocence, the accuser is required to prove guilt. Incendiary rhetoric in the lead of an article tends to taint, at least in the reader's mind, the remainder.

But really, these measures should not be a matter of concern until they show a genuine threat of reaching the governor's desk.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would agree with you if we were simply listen to some nutty discussion in a bar, but this man is a publicly elected official. Every minute of his working day and the products of that effort comes at the expense of the taxpayers and the state. So even if a bill has no hope of being approved, it is still a waste of time and a drain on public funds. There is therefore a reason for concern.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That sounds like one of the silly articles I read in Michael Crichton's Next. :D

25. geekgirl macrumors regular