Georgia mom fatally shoots teen son while trying to break up fight

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by smellysox8, Apr 8, 2015.

1. smellysox8 macrumors regular

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mom-shoots-kills-son-break-fight-cops-article-1.2176918

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-break-fight-bullet-hit-kill-teenage-SON.html

2. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Sigh, if only there would of been a Gun Free Zone sign out there this would of never happened.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who was she trying to shoot? Has she been charged or is this just another one of those unfortunate gun occurrences?

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

She shot into the fighting crowd randomly, with the intent to break it up. From what I can gather, she was not aiming at anyone in particular, hence her intent was not to kill.

The mom had a vested interest in breaking up the fight because her son was involved in the fight. However she was reckless in the way she used the firearm. Or maybe she had zero training in firearms to begin with, which means she had no business even touching one.

I could go on (like some others that will come and post I'm sure) and pile on the mom with more accusations. But her life is already destroyed. And the news says she was charged with various counts (as it should be).

She's in prison, and currently on suicide watch. This is a really sad case, and really highlights that "life in the hood" is really rough.

Tell me, folks…. if that was your son/daughter being beat up by some older teenagers…. you wouldn't even contemplate once about fetching your gun if it was nearby and could be fetched within seconds?

Anger leads to a lot of stupid decisions.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

This is why I say ......... Guns don't kill, people do, but guns sure contribute to killing.

And I'm a gun owner before anyone accuses me of being anti gun.

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, my first thought whenever I see people fighting is to go grab my gun. :rolleyes:

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

At least she had the good sense not to use her sawed-off shotgun.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's what happens when people watch too much TV.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

its already in my hip. tactical sequence dictates every one gets one shot before they get the second one.
    3 mags for a total of 24 rds of .45 , hope there are less than 12 target there

[/s

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Too bad the kid wasn't armed; he could have at least returned fire and had a fighting chance.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Real stupid. An easy alternative would be to shoot the gun into the air or not at all.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not at all, use a hose /turn sprinklers on plenty of alternatives depending on the situation.

----------

when some of you bother reading the link.

she was assaulted trying to break up the fight.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Not really a good alternative either. That bullet is coming back down, unless it achieves escape velocity. Never heard of gun that can shot a bullet into space. I'd bet the Gub'ment would love to have such a gun to shoot down spy satellites.

Randomly shooting into the air means you'll hit something or someone.

Since most folks don't have rubber bullets like riot police have, so salt shots is a good alternative. Back when I lived in the countryside, I used to have a shotgun loaded with rock salt as a robbery/trespasser deterrent. Been shot in the (_!_) by someone using salt shots. I can attest to its effectiveness as a deterrent.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Valid points!

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

shooting into the ground is better than the air.

sad this woman lost her son and was assaulted trying to defend him.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think it's better not to indiscriminately shoot anywhere. Period. There are times when you should use a gun. This situation wasn't one of them.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

again, read the link, the mom was assaulted trying to break up the fight. gun it seems was her last recourse.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    She got hit in the face once, which probably did nothing more than piss her off. There was no indication she at least was in direct danger.

Though as a gun enthusiast, you gotta admit that indiscriminately firing into a crowd of people isn't exactly the proper use of one.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What person thinks shooting into a crowd of people solves anything in this case?

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

1. WHO do you think she is? Ronda Rousey?
    how many times must she be hit in the face BEFORE she tries to defend herself?

2. depends on the crowd, :eek:

pepper spray would have been a much better choice, but few if any carry it.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

"wild firing" into a crowd.....

sounds like she's getting the legal problems she deserves

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

she was being beaten by those in the crowd while trying to stop the fight .

she made a few mistakes and she is already paying for them with the death of her son, I don't see a reason to further punish her.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

wild firing into a crowd is attempting to kill people.......she belongs in jail, which is where they put her.

She randomly killed her son and might have killed other people attempting to stop the fight with her indiscriminate shooting.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't consider a mob crowd to be "people":eek:.

bunch of thugs beating up a woman for no other reason than her trying to help her son are not IMHO "people". hope her sentence is light.

from link.

where was the shotgun?