Georgia Pair Sentenced to Prison for Perpetrating Hate Crime at Black Child's Birthday Party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"A man and woman in Douglas County, in Georgia, have each been given double-digit sentences for their part in crashing an African-American child's birthday party, in what the judge said was a hate crime."

Damn. I hope it was worth it for these two. They are going away for a long time for something so stupid. (Please JK, I beg you....don't post what I think you are going to post!)

http://time.com/4685169/douglasville-birthday-party-hate-crime-prison/

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I don't understand what's wrong with people.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

They are human.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

What happened to the concept of humanity then?

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Lots of humans avoid being idiots everyday. Don't lump these two in with the rest of us. :p

Says that they're parents of 3....most of the time I feel for kids whose parents get locked up but I believe that there's a good chance that the kids will be better off.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Doesn't a twenty-year prison sentence seem a bit excessive in this case?

Not to excuse, in any way, their actions, including harassing Wal-Mart patrons and kids at a birthday party. But they didn't actually shoot anyone. They didn't strike anyone. And I don't know that they actually destroyed any property.

It's pretty clear that this was a racially-motivated hate crime. But I think the sentence in this case was absurdly harsh. I don't think it's going to serve the cause of racial harmony, or simple justice any good to look two people up for decades for what they did. They very probably did frighten and alarm members of the African-American community. But they didn't physically harm them. And I think there ought to be a different punishment.

I'd far rather they receive a far lighter sentence (say six months) and then take part in education and a multi-racial community outreach program as part of the conditions of release.

Twenty years in prison for waving a flag (and a gun..) at people is inhumane. And will only harden the racist attitudes that spawned this unfortunate event.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

not sure after we elected trump.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2017 ---
    yesI thought it was excessive too and in Georgia no less. but these white trash rejects needed to pay for it and seldom do they.

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Play stupid games...I'll let JK fill in the rest.

In all seriousness, these clowns got what they deserve as far as I'm concerned.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2017 ---
    On its face, maybe.

But at the end of the day, there's zero excuse for anyone to be doing this crap in 2017. Everyone knows it's not acceptable; and harsher sentences are IMO justifiable.

9. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Ya, it's a bit harsh. If they did not use a gun, what you said would have been a good sentence. The gun waiving should be around 2 year minimum though.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

They were making armed threats as part of a hate group. That type of conduct should come with severe consequences. If you want to reward them for not following through on the violence then send them a cake.

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Eh...honestly I could probably go either way on this. There was a weapon involved so I'm good with the sentence, but I wouldn't have been outraged with a lesser sentence either.

Douglas County is fairly rural and pretty "white", so the prosecutors office may have felt that, for the sake of optics, these two should get the heaviest penalty allowed, particularly after the couple foolishly decided to go to trial.

As for racial reconciliation, I think the best thing for that would be if the parents could find forgiveness in their hearts and openly forgive this couple and the ones that were with them. I think that's the best weapon against hatred.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

20 year prison sentence is crazy.

No wonder 2% of the population is permanentely locked away.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

If the situation was reversed and armed black men were the ones making racial threats, then their penalty would have been meted out by police bullets.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree, that's more time than you get for violent crimes in many places.

Don't get me wrong, the actions took were horrific. That said, we have a love affair with punishment in this country.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

two of the 15 kkk members pled guilty and got lesser sentences. so maybe these two were *******s incur? all those flags and pickups going to be sold so sad.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The gun does make this worthy of greater punishment.

But I'm also going to note the fact that, thanks to the increasingly relaxed laws regarding the public carrying of firearms that we have in this country, we've created a bit of a "gray area."

Quite frankly I find it a bit unsettling when I see pretty much any civilian walking around in public with a gun. Either strapped to their waist, or peeking out of a concealed-carry holster. But that's just me.

Does someone cross a line when they take that gun out of the holster? Do they cross another line when they start waving it around? And a third line when they actually point it at someone while making a threat? I'd say probably "yes" to all three of those questions.

If you take a population of several thousand people, a high percentage of which are walking around 365 days a year carrying guns, it's all but inevitable that sooner or later a few of them are going to pull one out and point it at someone.

Getting back to this case: I worry that this excessively harsh sentence is just going to make these two idiots into "martyrs" for racists. People who think that "the Government" just uses hate-crime laws to make victims out of white people. And there are a lot of such people out there. I think that county would be a lot better off if they had more prosecutions for hate-crime related harassment - but with sentences that were more appropriate.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

A person with a gun changes the dynamics and balance of any interaction. And they are well aware of that. And your apprehension of fear certainly changes in that situation. Hateful comments, insulting behavior, bullying - they all change when a gun is added to the mix. The person being victimized has genuine fear of imminent physical harm or death. Owning and carrying a gun comes with some significant responsibility.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I hear what you're saying. Personally, I don't own a gun and I've never really seriously considered buying one. But I know several people who do (most of them conceal-carry) and each one of them will tell you that you never pull your weapon unless you're prepared/willling to fire it. So for me, it's simple. If someone draws on me (it has happened once), I'm operating under the assumption that I'm about to be shot. So I'll agree with you in that the line gets crossed once the gun comes out.

Generally speaking, I don't really have a problem with gun laws as they are today. Maybe because I've grown up around people who owned them. I'm not a 2nd amendment nut, but I'm actually uncomfortable with the idea of guns only being legally owned by government employees. Governments, particularly the US government, don't have the cleanest track record when it comes to the use of force. I don't believe that if the 2nd went away suddenly that we'd end up like North Korea overnight, but I do think that the 2nd, in conjunction with the rest of the constitution keeps the ideology here less authoritarian.

You could be right but I'm not sure it matters. Racists, particularly those who resort to using force/threats are so completely deranged and unhinged from reality that I don't think they are capable of doing the the type of reflection that you just did. Similar to some of the far right/left posters here, they can't see anything outside of the warped view of their own hatred. Those types of people would feel marginalized even if the jury let these two skate...they'd probably be angry that they were arrested in the first place.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The article also mentions drunkenly...
    The article is sparse on details ... maybe a DUI was part of it?

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Apparently the group Respect the [Confederate] Flag was on a drunken rolling party around the area for a couple days during July of 2015 when the incident occurred.

There are more details in some of the other articles one can link to via the cited piece. Georgia does not actually have a hate crimes statute, although the judge during sentencing referred to the incidents as motivated by racial hatred. The state does have laws against street gang violence with sections for assault with a deadly weapon, terroristic threats, etc., which were cited in the charges levied against the couple.

Georgia has no hate crimes statute. Norton will be sentenced on one count of violating the street gang act and one count of making terroristic threats. Torres will be sentenced on three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one count of terroristic threats and one count of violating the street gang act. The aggravated assault charges carry up to 20 years for each count and the street gang act carries between five and 20 years, said Emadi. A terroristic threat conviction is punishable by up to five years in prison.
    One of the pieces I looked at mentioned that aside from the sentences, the pair will be banished from the county upon release from their respective sentences. I didn't even know that was legal in the USA. I mean in old cowboy movies you see a sheriff putting some guy on a train and telling him don't come back, but "don't come back" with legal underwriting means some kind of permanent bench warrant, no? Also, one of the pieces cited below notes that some other people who participated in the drunken convoy that weekend were arrested and sentenced to somewhat lesser charges under the same statutes. I suspect there may be some appeals here...

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They pointed weapons(in this case a shotgun) at people and implied that they were going to kill them some derogatory term. Their sentences are fair for the crimes they actually committed. They are lucky no one at the party was armed and defended their family.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

This case is really unbelievable. I can't imagine how they thought it was okay to act like this. Barbaric.

24. ActionableMango, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I thought so at first, based on the original short article.

But digging deeper to next article linked, this was a two-day long armed rampage across multiple counties resulting in 911 call centers being swamped. They stopped and threatened motorists, WalMart shoppers, shoppers at a convenience store, and the people at this birthday party. I still don't know the details, but at this point I assume that the sheer number of crimes committed simply added up to a large total.

Also, it isn't a 20-year prison sentence. It is 13 years in prison, 7 probation, and a permanent ban from the county.

On other note, I didn't know you could ban someone from an entire county. It doesn't seem like that should be legal.

On yet another note, here is example of white people being charged with terrorism. For whatever that's worth or not.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It did add up, with each time they brandished a gun and pointed it at someone being a separate case of aggravated assault.

NPR had a good story on this this morning as well, who also sourced the AJC:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...day-party-yields-long-prison-terms-in-georgia

That is correct.

Depends. If their home is in the same county, one would think that it would be illegal. But Georgia has been a bulldog on its own, so who knows.

Agreed. In fact, wouldn't this be "domestic terrorism"?

BL.