German interior ministers call for partial burqa ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Aug 20, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

No because we don't have an Islam problem in the U.S. . Fortunately, our Muslim immigrants integrate into American society successfully.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Social cohesion requires seeing another person's face. There is no societal benefit to the burka. The burka is a symbol of primitive and savage patriarchal oppression and is not part of our culture. If they want to wear a burka in their home, that's fine. Ban it in public.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I am not surprised.
    Nonetheless, I think the "dual citizenship" debate constitutes a real problem.

5. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

People should be able to wear what they want whatever the benefit. You're making something that's a non-issue in the states into an issue.

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I agree w/ you, but it should not be a one-way street.
    Just some interesting pictures about the one-sided approach to this matter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

For going to court, taking a drivers license photo, and anything else that requires you to represent yourself you should take it off. Other than that I don't really care if someone wants to wear a rag on their face as long as they aren't doing anything illegal. I do think it represents disgusting male dominated culture, but as long as they are over 18 they should feel free.

Anyone under 18 should not be allowed to wear one in school.

8. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Are any of these in the U.S. ?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 20, 2016 ---
    Agreed!

9. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

All pictures are from the UAE.

10. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah we already know that there are problems with the entire Middle East.

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

And we want those problems to remain in the Middle East. Let's not go down that dark road that so many other nations have gone.

[​IMG]

12. Limey77 macrumors regular

Personally I'm not one for telling people what they can and can't wear. Although we are all free to draw our own conclusions from the choices you make.

I'm not a fan of the burka but I also hate the pants round your thighs look, and many more personal choices. And I'm sure other people think the same about my clothing choices.

Now I do 100% believe that no woman should be forced to wear a burka against her wishes. likewise, no woman who wishes to wear one should be forbidden. I can't believe this would be constitutional.

For anyone actually interested about wearing a burka, there is a wonderful book called "The bookseller of Kabul" that many people here should read. It offers some wonderful and not so wonderful insights into living under the Taliban in Afghanistan. An excellent book by a brave Norwegian female journalist.

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I oppose the government telling us what we can and cannot do, especially if it doesn't harm anyone else. However, in the case of burkas I'm willing to make an exception. Some things are more important than abstract political ideologies. For example: borders, language, and culture.

I fully support nuns wearing their habits anywhere, including to the beach. I fully support conservative Jews wearing their garb anywhere, including to the beach. However, the government should ban burkas from all public spaces.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

15. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What's religion got to do with it?

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You can't be serious?

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So the beach attire of traditionally clothed nuns or Orthodox Jews is a matter of personal expression of religious preference, but the burka is bannable because you happen to regard it as a permissible exception to the same type of preference?

18. stroked Suspended

stroked

Are the nuns or Jews going to get murdered if they choose not to wear their religious garb?

19. dec. Suspended

dec.

So making it impossible for a "muslim" woman to attend a swimming pool or beach is the correct approach?

20. Limey77 macrumors regular

Why?

21. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

In other news - no Burka has been seen so far in Germany anyway. I do see a Niqab here and there, mostly in the more expensive shops of Munich or in in parts of Berlin but that's it. Oh yea, once I saw a woman in a wheelchair rocking a burka, so yea, pretty important issue to discuss and pass a law on I guess. /s

That being said, I'm pretty partial about that stuff myself. On the one hand I'm pretty cool about how people want to dress themselves and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few women who do this completely by their own will. We can discuss religious believes all we want but it's their will and is doing no harm to others so I'm the last one to complain.

On the other hand: it's forbidden to totally mask your face in Germany. I technically wouldn't be allowed to run around in a ski-mask or motor-helmet all day long in the city as well so I don't see any need to make exceptions to religious habits. We're a seculiar country and that should be imperative and without any (goes into each direction) exception.

On a personal level: a woman wearing a burka (niqab isn't much better) is just awkward to talk to. Pretty sure that's mostly because I'm not used to it (and because they probably would never talk to strangers, especially men, I guess) but since a lot of communication within the urban realms of pedestrian walkways, tubes and metro stations is done by eye-contact and gestures (body-language) there is just no way to connect. But that's more of a personal thing and no reason imo to ban or not a certain dress.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

I believe these are all signs in Saudi Arabia are they not? I know the top one is for sure. At KFC.

Edit: just saw, UAE.

23. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Such a striking contrast.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    UAE is almost as messed up as Saudi Arabis, in UAE you could walk down the street holding hands and go to jail. So dumb.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I was going to say I don't think I've ever seen a burka around

25. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It never ceases to amaze me aaronvan's ability to guide, influence his threads. ;)
    Liz, I guess the main motive in this context is that the traditional clothing of a nun or an Orthodox Jew neither in Germany nor in Europe can be assosiated with a religion in the name of which terrorists acts were carried out, killing hundreds of innocent people for the past two years on the European continent.