German minister calls Trump a threat, Merkel lauds Clinton

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Mar 6, 2016.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-germany-idUSMTZSAPEC36LTD4ZC

I know 99% of us don't really care what the Germans think but I thought the last quote was quite funny (probably because I've almost no sleep) it seems such a German female response.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Merkel is right.
    She has no reason to reply to Trump.

And in regards to Gabriel:
    Take a look a the SPD election results and their membership development ... they speak for themselves.

3. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

That's actually what prompted me to check out the elections, I've not seen any SPD stuff hanging on light polls and the election is this month.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

I guess you are refering to the Landtagswahl in Baden-Würtemberg. Looking at the polls, both CDU and SPD are not gonna do well there.

They've been losing support at an unprecedented rate:

[​IMG]

It's so bad, they haven't issued any numbers since 2008 ...

In certain ways this is concerning, since the SPD, party of the great Helmut Schmidt, has been a pillar of german democracy for over 100 years.
    What behoofs Gabriel to attack a US presidential candidate is beyond comprehension.

5. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Yes..

I've seen some some Die Linke, AfD, Grun but none of the stalwart SPD, FDP, CDU. I've not been searching them out, but the normal parties have been conspicuously absent in my travels. If BW is any indicator of whats really going on Merkel and the CDU/CSU are going to have a tough time next year. Maybe the north beats the south next year??

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

After their massive win in 2009 the FDP didn't deliver and has pretty much disappeared into irrelevance after 2013.

I can't make heads or tails about the CDU and SPD. It almost seems like they've given up and made their peace with eventually disappearing into oblivion.

Either way, we will see some massive changes across europe. I am not sure whether this will be good or bad.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Isn't Germany the country that started 2 world wars?

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Don't be silly. Austria started the first one.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Not silly. Just unaware or mindfudge. It's an easy enough and not uncommon mistake people make.

10. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

A threat maybe to her rise to the 4th reich...

11. 1458279 Suspended

I saw this and thought this is excellent because it tells us what the US would be like under Clinton vs Trump. Under Clinton, we can expect the problems that Germany and Europe has.

Germany, and many countries in Europe have been forever changed. They used to have their own character, now everything is a mix.

Given the birth rates, Europe will be a muslim area soon enough. America will likely be next.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And yet to win one.

And it's interesting to note that other past and present foreign dignitaries also view Trump and his rhetoric as incendiary, and compares him to others who took part in starting those wars in particular.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/article64509387.html

BL.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

Words in that linked page are buzz-word city. The man's got it all covered.

Mexican President should be more concerned why elected leaders in Mexico are regularly assassinated.

This poor lady wasn't Mayor but for a day and he got offed.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/02/americas/mexican-mayor-slain/

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Which has what to do with Trump and his rhetoric being likened to Hitler or Mussolini? Absolutely nothing.

Buzzword City? You do realize that that came from the Associated Press and not some editorial, and that those are Trump's exact words, right?

But by all means, keep those fingers of yours stuck in your ear canals.

BL.

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

Do you know how many people are saying the same thing? It's the new direction - the new coordinated assault that has thus far fell flat, resulting in some seriously apoplectic people in some very high places with money on the line.

16. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

USA should vote for what the international community says eh? Sorry we are not the Amerigo yet under rule of the UN-thank you very much.

Global elitists in panic.. pretty transparent motives IMO.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Old Europe should spend their time worrying about their problems.

18. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Read an interesting article today. It assumes that Trump wins the nomination and how the campaign against the Dems will be funded. Seems unbelievable but apparently the GOP campaign cost will be in the order of 1 Billion dollars. Well Trump has funded his campaign thus far but rumour has it he has only spent 25 Million Dollars. The consensus was that the Big hitting GOP donors are not going to Fund a Trump Presidential run. Will he fund it himself and how much is he prepared to cough up. Since he seem to be able to generate free publicity with his pronouncements, lets assume it cost half as much.
    does he have a spare 500 million and even if he does, is he prepared to put it on the line.

19. 1458279 Suspended

Clearly Trump has used the media to his advantage. However, there's a lot of spending that is wasted by people trying to get their word out. Bush/Rubio have spent HUGE money and got NOTHING for it. People are interested in following Trump, so they will go where he goes, the media will follow.

He's the hottest thing on the net, and that's working to his advantage. When he speaks, people listen, he's playing that to his advantage. He won't have to spend much to get his views out there.

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's appearing as though Trump's detractors are damned if they do and they are damned if they don't. Basically squeezed between a rock and a hairpiece.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'll remember that the next time you post a story about Muslim refugees in Munich or Copenhagen.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What about Berlin, Nice, or Glasgow?

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

Oh, but a real-time indicator as to what to expect in America. ;)

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Probably because they know that a serious donation to a specific un-named charity will ensure Hillary's "cooperation".

and upset his granddad anglicized their last name.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Oh please.