german president Horst Köhler resigns over Afghanistan comments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by takao, May 31, 2010.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/0,1518,697781,00.html

his reasons are that the pressure grew too big after his comments about germany protecting econominal interests abroad with military means

as a quote the following comment was the responsible comment

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Allow me to translate:

My little desert flower is over all the indigestion with some of the Western sand, locked also in the water filter of the deer-shaft and the western-hen. That's a land unsure of largess with really sticky Austrian-boy-eastern-stuff, and Dammit, all the Austrian-boy-raping-kites are like wussy girls, that I'm a dry white wine. I'm not kidding. All this military brilliance notwithstanding, I'm unsure that there is war between ourselves about free bisexual philosophers, about free...

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm surprised that his initial comments provoked such a strong action. What else are wars for if not for protecting economic interests?

4. noaccess macrumors 6502

L - O - L !!! You, sir, have just made my day :D

And here's the English version of said article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,697785,00.html

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What with the shambles that the Eurozone financial structure has become, this sure doesn't help matters. When you couple political instability with financial instability, you wind up with a helluva mess.

Germany has been the big dog, moneywise, even though their deficit is a bit above the 3% target. Political instability there could lead to more deficit, which kicks back into interest-rate issues and those impacts on business.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Huh indeed. A similar comment made by a US president would generate applause from much of the country. Good for the Germans for holding their leaders' feet to the fire after they say stupid ****.

And I just have to ask, how the hell do you pronounce this: Außenhandelsorientierung. That's almost as bad as the volcano in Iceland, Eujkajaffkajksdflllolahjcvwhatever.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- I don't understand German. What did he say?

9. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

actually it's rather easy to pronounce

Außenhandel literally means "outside-trade" and orientierung = orientation

the big advantage is that german only means strining together a lot of small words

in terms of lenght there are muc more interesting . .especially in matter of law
    Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz
    Internetverbindungsgeschwindigkeitsverbesserungsantrag
    Bundesanstaltfinanzdienstleistungsaufsicht
    and you can make up longer ones but this one are actually used

10. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Google translation: (Of course ya gotta trust it !!)

" My assessment is that overall we are on the way, but also to understand the breadth of society, a country know our size with that trade orientation and therefore foreign trade dependence also needs that is necessary in case of doubt, in case of emergency and military use to protect our interests, for example, free trade routes to prevent, for example, all regional instability, the fight back with negative security then our opportunities through trade, jobs and income. "

11. Queso macrumors G4

What exactly do Germans (and Austrians ;)) have against spaces in sentences? Is it that squishing all the words together into one saves on printing paper?

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Having done extensive editorial work in the German language, it actually doesn't, and IIRC the rules for hyphenation are extensive (although I may be thinking of Dutch there).

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The German language is practically a running joke in user interface design. Every element needs to be designed around the fact that a button that says "OK" in English is likely to come back from the translators with the equivalent of something like "Pleaseifitisnttoomuchtroubledothethingthisbuttonismeanttodo."