Germany considers plan to bring back conscription

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Aug 23, 2016.

1. cube macrumors G5

This site has started to feel like BundRumors ;)

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I guess Trump guilted Germany out of freeloading off of the United States military. If only the other NATO bums would oblige.

3. cube macrumors G5

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This article is garbage. It fairly points out that the US pays 22% of the NATO budget (highest amount of any nation), but then goes on to point out that this is disproportionate, when in actuality the US is already paying for all of the military power it needs without NATO. Proportionately the US needs NATO less than any of the other nations because Russia would take them to town without the US backing.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's no surprise that an internationalist--or should I say Atlanticist--magazine gives a full throated endorsement for NATO.

NATO was a reaction to the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact. When they ceased to exist, NATO lost its raison d'être. Today, NATO is a solution always searching for a problem.

Incidentally, the Atlantic was a great magazine for many years. However, they stopped publishing short fiction so I let my subscription lapse.