Germany > Cruise

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jun 25, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Mad props to Germany...Scientology is no more of a religion than it is a cult. :rolleyes:

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think it's offensive to cults to call Scientology a cult. It's a scam.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So are most cults.

5. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

*scratches head*

*inserts hateful comment about organized religion so no one else has to*

6. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand German law why is it not accepted to do the film just by someones religion? Or are they using the religion to not allow the filming? Can someone elaborate this?

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I love Germany! :D

Why not? ;)

9. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

OK read the second article, so they just want a wierdo doing a film on one of their heroes from history. Honestly if the family does not approve it I think that should be respected. Wow I love Germany especially the oldest son, saying I just want him to do it, but I cannot stop him because I will just make more publicity on something I do not want to happen. Hes a dusch if he can't respect that.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

scientology isn't considered a religion in germany and some other european countries

also Scientology is considered quite anti-democratic and thus is under observation by governmental agencies

that said this news only states that they are not allowed to film it on the governmental owned sites which include the historical places

edit: meanwhile foxnews shows how much they do researching:

"Meanwhile, it’s hard to imagine at this point why Cruise and company are calling their movie “Valkyrie.” A Valkryie is a female warrior from Norse mythology, perhaps best known from Wagner’s “Ring Cycle.” The von Stauffenberg story is heavily male, and includes no such characters unless van Houten decides to climb aboard a winged horse and kill Hitler herself."

perhaps they should have looked up the part about Stauffenberg when he used the code-name "Operation Valkyrie" for the bomb plot ...

11. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I don't believe that Germany considers Scientology a religion at all, but rather as a scam (as miloblithe stated). In its own eyes, Germany is just trying to protect its people from falling victim to a scam by denying working privileges to a prominent, charismatic participant of the scam.

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it seems incredibly discriminatory on the german's part to prevent people from working purely based on their opinion in religious matters.
    i don't understand how people can applaude to such close-mindedness.

i could (kind of) see it if it was an 'official' scientology production, but blocking it because one of the actors has the 'wrong' ideas/faith? pretty bad

13. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I have to agree with this sentiment. While I believe that Scientology is a destructive cult, I don't see the relevence. I still listen to Beck, I still watch My Name Is Earl, etc. I don't see the harm in having a Scientologist act/produce in a film unless said production was using the film to further the Scientology agenda.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they aren't blocking it from filming. they're blocking it from using certain locations at this point. thats all.

and its not recognized as a religion in Germany. which is what i believe most people here are applauding, since its pretty much true.

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Who's making a film ? i thought he got blackballed from Hollywood

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Blackballed? He's the head of United Artists.

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

what's the difference?
    they are discriminating against a person purely because of his opinions, how can anybody support this?
    the fact that me or you, and mostly everybody else think that those specific opinions are bogus is completely irrelevant.
    people should protest, not cheer.

18. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

what Tommy Cruise ?

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure hes entitled to his opinions. i give him that.
    the government doesn't want him in certain government locations.
    i think our government has closed access to some locations too.

again i'm only happy that they don't recognize the "Church of Scientology" as a religion.

20. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I'm assuming you meant to say, "Who? Tom Cruise?" If I'm correct, then, yes, Tom Cruise.

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

scientology was convicted in germany that it's activities are "contrary to the foundations of democracy and against human rights"

they are observated by the "Verfassungsschutz"("office for constitution protection") which also observates Nazis and other right wing extremists, Left wing extremists, Islamistic extremists & fundamentalists

in their view agreeing on him making a movie on governmental property would be like "accepting scientology"

also tom cruise has before lobbied in the US government to put pressure on germany because of their position towards scientology

22. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

our governement has refused a location for a movie because one of the actor/actress was of a specific religion? I find it hard to believe

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats not what i said, now is it?

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Scientology is not a religion.