Germany's Policing Model Now Uses Racial Profiling

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's been reported that Germany' police now uses racial profiling and that it's proving very effective.

I have always been in favor of profiling (including stop and frisk) as long as there are checks and balances.

What is the general opinion here of profiling ?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

er, how can you have "checks & balances" when profiling?
    I kind of like the 4th, you better have a good reason to stop someone other than just the color of their skin.

3. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

It's common sense, if a disproportionate number of people engaging in certain type of illegal activities come from a certain group, then profiling should obviously be employed. Yes, it may inconvenience certain people who fit the "profile", but at the end of the day these practices are in place to keep everyone safe. Furthermore, it would be far more a effective for a group that is being profiled to encourage behavioral changes within their community instead of crying about discrimination and oppression.

4. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Hard to say whether it was efficient or not. Seems obvious to me that policing in general works better (or works at all) when there are sufficient cops at work and those that are at work actually do their work (in contrast to last years event when they flat out refused to do sth and just stood at the side-lines.

Racial profiling sure seems to be efficient in estranging those regular citizens from our society, some say it's the vast majority of thise whi get 'checked on', who got to experience prejudice (male, dark skin, black hair for example) in full effect.

Right-wing/neo-nazi crimes are as high as they weren't for a loooong time. I'd like to see those fellas checked just as hard - especially in Saxony - then we can talk.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Yeah but that's probably because you're not white ;)

How does that work for white males right now? Ready to encourage "behavioral changes" within that community?

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You're innocent until guilty, doesn't matter where you come from, what your skin color is, or what you dress up with.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The science behind racial profiling is sound (unless you happen not to believe in mathematics.) Israeli airline El Al profiles passengers every which way through Sunday and they haven't had a hijacking since 1972. However, that's at the expense of civil liberties and would be unconstitutional (I suspect) in the United States if done against American citizens.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Are the Germans willing to be thoroughly examined by a court system/policing system because they come from the same people and families that not only caused two world wars, but also happily married the Nazi regime? Looking at German history I could say that they are a violent, reckless, and merciless people. Would I be justified in taking preemptive measures believing that there is the possibility that some of them could be guilty of the crimes inspired by those historical factors?

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Are they profiling racially - or are they profiling everyone? I thought it was more the latter. They have tight security. Regardless of race/creed. At least that much it true.

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well, that really depends, for example if statistics indicate that a disproportionate number of neo-Nazis are German then it would certainly make sense to employ profiling when looking for a neo-Nazi.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so the few should give up their freedom to help out the many huh? of course when you are a remember of the many it always seems good. remember have already been there.
    so why do the many don't have to control their own?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Again, I am not guilty until I am guilty. My family could be composed of Mafia members, that doesn't mean that I am a mafioso and that I should be treated different than any other being just because of my family.
    As for statistics, we all know that they can be manipulated quite easily especially by governments. Remember, unemployment is only at 4% so all is good, right?

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Not sure what their criteria are but I imagine young Arab males from Tira get more scrutiny than old women from southeast Florida.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Agreed. "Sins of the father" do not apply.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---
    Don't be so sure. The terrorists from 9/11 were all living in SE Florida....

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In all fairness, they weren't old women.
    I flew El Al only once, I was 8 and ultra-white... I vaguely remember going through a lot of security checks, but again it was another time and my memory could trick me.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

How about Sins of the Grandfather? Guess who her grandfather is? Clue: she lives in Portland, Oregon.

[​IMG]

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Lol, her grandfather looked much more feminine, even with his mustache.

18. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Fitting a profile does not constitute guilt, it simply means that the authorities will pay closer attention to a certain segment of population when looking for crime/terror suspects. It's really statistics 101, if 50% of certain crimes/terrorist acts are committed by people that constitute 5% of the population then it's only logical to rule out that particular group before moving on to other suspects. Furthermore, authorities would still have to follow due process, and you wouldn't automatically get locked up just because of your background.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

No idea. Don't care because one can always cherry pick something off the internet. And while I don't disagree that if you're raised in a family that believes a certain way, it can have an overwhelming affect on your own beliefs - that still doesn't equate violating the 4th.

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Let me say first that it will never happen in this country. No matter how effective it can be proven to be, the minority groups of this country who would portray themselves as the only recipients of the profiling would make so much noise that it would never be allowed to happen.

If it were to happen the first thing that would need to change is what we call it. If you call it "statistical profiling" then it takes on a slightly different meaning, although it's too late for that now anyway. I'm a white guy in my 30s and I believe I was profiled a few years ago. I took a shortcut home from work at 11:00 PM and was driving through an area that is mostly black. In my opinion I was pulled over because I was a white guy driving a nice car in an area that made me stand out and it's my opinion that the officer thought I might have been in the area buying drugs. I was a little annoyed that the officer lied about the reason for stopping me but otherwise I completely understood the reason for the stop and I moved on with my life. I believe I was pulled over because of the color of my skin and the area I was in. Was I racially profiled? Was I pulled over for being white? I absolutely think so. But I'm not a minority so it isn't a big deal to anyone. When the situation is reversed and a black person gets pulled over then it's a story.

I used to live in a mostly white suburb with a large shopping mall. A lot of people from communities all around would come to the mall, but over the years more and more of the people coming there were coming from black communities. I used to work for that town's police department and know that stealing (retail theft) at that mall was a big problem. I also know that many of the people caught stealing were from other towns and were black. That's not racism or a false belief, that is a provable fact. Another way to say it would be that statistically speaking, someone coming to the mall who is black and from another town is more likely to steal something. If the police were to keep a closer eye on those people it would be called racial profiling and of therefore be racist behavior. But isn't it prudent to go where the statistics tell you to?

If you make it purely a math problem and remove the people it makes even more sense.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Looking into someone's life only because he fits a "statistical group" is exactly what we should avoid at all costs; and your statistics 101 is not statistics 101, because as you know you can lie with statistics quite easily. I don't think - for example - that I should be given extra attention while driving only because 99% of Italians drive like crazy. Should I be followed by a cop each and every time because traffic in Italy (where I grew up) is crazy? No.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

I was mostly saying that in jest.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Racial profiling goes on even when they say it isn't going on. That's just a fact, people need to get over it. They just say it isn't so people don't soil themselves. It's why a 85yr old man in a wheel chair has to be pulled aside and given a full rectal at the airport, to make it look like they're trying to be "objective". It's ok though, once he makes it through security he can find a shop where they sell one of those neck rolls for sleeping and sit on it to ease the discomfort.

24. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

One should note that said profiling is discussed highly controversial. I believe the police already offered an excuse - not that that helps a lot.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The fact that racial profiling is a thing in real life, is obvious. It's like violence, we don't want it, it's illegal... but it's there.
    The problem is when it becomes policy.