Gerrymandering Rigged the 2014 Elections for Republican Advantage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wild-Bill, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

LINK

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Same excuse that was used for the 2010 election... Except that 2010 used the same districts as 2008 and 2006. How do you explain the Senate? There was no gerrymandering in that one. Do you know the most gerrymandered district in the USA is a democrat district? And it is surrounded by democrat districts.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The Republicans gerrymandered our district to their advantage several years ago.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The article doesn't seem to understand how representative districts work.

Representatives aren't elected by a statewide vote. It's senseless to point out how many people across the state voted for one party or the other and compare that to the number of representatives elected from each party - unless the state we're talking about is like Alaska or Wyoming, with only a single representative.

Some Democrats may have won their districts in landslides, while some Republicans may have won tight races. It would certainly explain the non-relevant numbers the article is pushing.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The numbers I would like to see is did the Democrats get more votes for the house than the Republicans, like they did in 2012?

8. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

You can also lump "dark money" and abysmal voter turnout to the mix.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why didn't the Democrats introduce legislation to end gerrymandering when they controlled the House and the Senate? They didn't because the Democrats appreciate a good gerrymandered district as much as the Republicans.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The districts are determined by states not the federal government.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

So?

12. gibbz, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

gibbz macrumors 68030

I'm as liberal as it gets, but I think the Left should stop blaming 2014 mid-terms on this. The map didn't lead to bad losses in the Illinois, Maine, and Maryland governor races. The map didn't lead to surprising Senate losses like that in Colorado. The Democrats lost because their voter base didn't turn out, especially the younger generation. The Democrats lost because they lacked a coherent and compelling narrative to get that base out to vote. The Democrats lost because the Republicans ran superior campaigns.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't know, Maryland looks pretty germandered too me.:p;)

Attached Files:

• md.gif
      md.gif
      File size:
      5 KB
      Views:
  14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Midterms have traditionally been when old white people vote and the rest don't. It'll be interesting to see If things change a decade from now.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Intersting that "old white men" are choosing to make history with non-white faces, and females

1. Mia Love of Utah became the first African-American Republican woman (and first Haitian-American) in Congress. It was the former Mayor of Saratoga Springs' second time running for Utah's 4th Congressional District.

2. South Carolina's Tim Scott became the first African-American senator to win in the South since Reconstruction. He had previously been serving as a South Carolina senator by appointment from governor Nikki Haley.

3. Alex Mooney became the first Latino elected to Congress in West Virginia's history. He is the son of a Cuban refugee and Vietnam veteran. He beat Nick Casey, former chairman of the West Virginia Democratic Party.

4. Elise Stefanik became the youngest woman ever elected to Congress. The 30-year-old Republican from New York headed Paul Ryan's debate prep as the 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee and also worked in the George W. Bush administration.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Abysmal voter turnout cuts both ways, from what I see of '06, when the Democrats took over both houses of Congress, turnout was even lower than this time.

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Gerrymandering was the cause of this? Maybe a couple of seats here and there, but just look at the map...

After the 2008 Election...
    [​IMG]

After the 2014 Election...

[​IMG]

The country's looking pretty red in the U.S. House anyway you look at it. Why did this happen? Draw your own conclusions...

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm not sure what your point is.

Mine was that non-white, younger voters are rarely seen during midterms. Nowhere did I claim that old, white people are only voting for other whites.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree Gerrymandering skews elections.

My understanding is that in State wide elections candidates such as US Senate, winner take all regarding districts. For these and Presidential elections a straight vote total should be used to better represent the will of the people. For the President, it would be vote total the entire country.

Now as far as State legislatures, Gerrymandering remains a huge problem, this is why democrats cast 44% of the vote but only represent 27% of of the representatives in Pa. Dems and Republicans are both responsible for gerrymandering, but it must be fixed by bipartisan/ neutral commissions using standardized nonpartisan criteria for voting district boundaries.

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This map just reinforces how embarrassing it is to be from Minnesota. Sigh.

----------

The Republicans didn't have a coherent and compelling narrative either. There was no national agenda that the individual candidates ran on. The Republican strategy was simply we're not Obama and if you don't like Obama or the direction the Democrats have taken the country vote for us. And people did. Turnout is always going to be softer in non presidential election years.

21. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Regardless of what color the maps are, let's not forget that congressional approval is at 13% - the lowest in American history.

22. Huntn, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Theres a lot of people who dont like Obama. While this will be enthusiastically denied, I believe that a significant % of this dislike is race based. This is not a statement whose intent to indict all conservatives and Republicans. :)

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Look at that Left Coast!

24. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Part of Nebraska went Democrat! hee hee

25. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Because they were drinking too much of that old corn beer before they went to the polls. :p