Get 4G or keep 3GS and buy iPad 64 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanwarsaw, Jun 8, 2010.

?

Get iPad and keep 3GS or just get a 4G and no iPad?

1. Keep 3Gs and get iPad

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. Roll with a 4G and no iPad

29 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Okay those are the two choices. What would you do get an iPad and keep your 32GB 3GS or get the 4G? I am going with getting the iPad option but am interested in what others opinions are.

2. PsychOfMSE macrumors member

I don't personally have much of a use for an iPad so I would go for the iPhone 4. At least that's what I'm planning on doing. My Macbook is plenty portable for me.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You can look at it from two sides: or you have both an old iPhone and an iPad (which is already around for a few months)

Or

You can have the awesome new iPhone which you carry around like every moment of the day with it's awesome display and the front facing camera.

5. MathiasVH macrumors regular

I'm in the same situation and I'm going with the iPad. The iPhone 4 is ugly and not that big an upgrade (IMO at least). I thought about upgrading, but since I NEVER use my phone-pics for anything important, and am more than satisfied with the video on the 3GS, I really can't justify using that kind of money on a higher-res screen.. Combined with the iPad being an amazing device! :)

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, I would rather have something that I will be able to take with me on a regular basis no matter what I am doing. An iPad is too big to do that. Go for the iPhone 4.

8. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

i would get the iphone 4 and wait for the 2nd gen ipad, you will get alot more for your money.

9. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

How will I get more for my money? The iPad is around $800 and the 4G is going to be nearly $1,000 unlocked where I am at.

10. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Yes and my 3GS is portable.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True. For me, I would rather spend the money on a new iPhone. While the iPad is nice, I already have a MBP and an iMac, so I just see an iPad as redundant.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Where is the "I don't care" option? I came in hoping there would be one.

13. coasterswim macrumors 6502

The "I don't care option" is selected by not clicking on the thread at all.

14. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

You cared enough to post something. If you don't got something nice to say, don't say it at all. Thanks.

Back on topic, I would rather get the iPhone 4 because it is a device you can use more often and fits in your pockets unless you are like a kangaroo and have a pouch for your iPad.

15. g8orballboy macrumors regular

I'd go with the ipad with 3gs...

I could probably give a long list of reasons why, but the truth is I just bought an iPad and I'm not elligible for the early upgrade, so I might be bitter and just rationalizing :p...

but seriously, after using the ipad for a month, I can say that while the ip4 is a better version of what you have, the ipad is a new product all together. I really love the ipad and don't regret the purchase at all and if i had the option to trade in my ipad for the new iphone, i would not do it.

just my $0.02

16. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Since you have a 3Gs I think its worth getting the iPad, it will be way too much fun, the 4G is just a minimal upgrade of what you already have. Plus a better iPhone will come out next june, get the iPad now and the iPhone 5 next year. Phones have a good 2 year lifespan.

17. lilo777 macrumors 603

It's not 4G!!! There is only one 4G phone on the marked and it's HTC Evo. Apple's new phone is "iPhone 4" (like in "model #4") and it does not support 4G (as in WiMax or LTE).

18. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Do yourself a favor.

Forget about that stupid iPad

Go with the iPhone4

Or you could just do what you were going to do anyway,......Get whatever you really want and ignore what other people say.

What's the point of this thread anyway ?

19. doctorxring macrumors member

I have a 3GS and an iPad.

I would skip the iPhone4 (for a while) and get
    an iPad with your 3GS, rather than just have an iPhone4 alone.

This solution seems axiomatic to me

20. Maaz macrumors 6502a

How are we supposed to know what your needs are. If you have a laptop don't get the iPad. If you don't. Get the iPad.

21. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Unless you want to say that the G stands for "Generation" cause it is the 4th Gen iPhone.

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

Sure. But that would be confusing. 2G, 3G, 3GS. It looks like G has certain meaning there.

23. Chimera-se macrumors member

I'd say get an iPad if you have a use for it. Hell, just get it and you'll probably discover a use for it if you're like me. It's amazing how this thing will fill a void most people didn't even know existed in their lives. I'm also saying this knowing that you already have a fantastically capable phone and you can upgrade the OS to iOS4. Unless you absolutely need the new iPhone right now, this will be the best use of your money, based on what you mentioned about your location. And btw, keep in mind, anyone who says the iPad is stupid, doesn't FREAKIN OWN ONE! I own all these devices and they all play a role in my life. Ok, I'm done. ;)

24. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Well the first one was never called 2G, it just had 2G (Actually technically 2.5G). I don't know G seems appropriate to me because people call the other iPods by their generations, such as you know what the 1G iPod Touch is. And no one here will really confuse the iPhone 4 for a phone using 4G internet access. (I hope).

25. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I wasn't asking what I should do. I was asking for peoples opinions on what THEY would do. This is a poll for purposes of curiosity only. I already said what I am going to do at the start of the poll. I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Based upon the posts in this thread so far, I would say that in spite of the 4G (yes I know it isn't on 4G data and every time I call it that a kitten dies somewhere) upgraders being in the majority, the more thought out posts come from the people going with skip the 4G.

The closest thing posted to my way of thinking is that the iPad is something new and the 4G is an upgrade that basically just duplicates all of what I already have with my 3GS. The iPad should have more of a fun factor for me. Sure there will be a next gen iPad out in the future but if the upgrades don't seem that important to me on the 4G then the same should prove to be true of the next iPad.

One poster suggested to get the 4G and the next rev of the iPad. In an ideal world that is exactly what I would do. However it is outside the scope of the poll.

Anyway thanks for the opinions and feel free to add more. It is a poll like any other "should I get black or should I get white?" type of thing. just because I have my own opinion on the matter doesn't mean you shouldn't share yours.

To those that feel this poll is pointless... welcome to Macrumors were debating the most minute detail of the utterly pointless is celebrated and embraced. :)