Get a replacement iPhone 2G (yep, 2G) from Apple in 2012 to keep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timidhermit, Oct 22, 2012.

1. timidhermit macrumors 6502

I have an original iPhone 2G that I bought when it first came out. The battery died, and I left it in the drawer for years.

I just had an idea. I want to ask Apple to replace the phone, even if it is for a fee. I think the fee is something like $250. This way, I get a new phone I can keep as a collector's item. I figure, given the iPhone's history, it would be a nice toy to keep on my shelf.

Has anyone had any experience with this? What do you get with a replacement phone? Does Apple still give replacement 2g phones these days (given the phone has been discontinued for so long)?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Should be $150 and if its just the battery the replacement should be cheaper than that.
    Up to you but I wouldn't waste any money on an iPhone 2G.

3. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

That's funny - people on ebay are selling new - opened without the box (just like the $150 swap) for $369 on ebay.

You could have a cottage business - buy beaters for $50 - pay $150 for swap, sell for $369....

Why work and it is safer than dealing crack.

4. timidhermit thread starter macrumors 6502

Tempting, but not interested in selling. I actually want a keeper. Beside, the replacement will not have the box, which I have and want to keep.

So you are staying Apple is still have stock to replace 2G phones? Are these phone the same as the original? Specifically, are the black plates still printed with the IMEI of the phone like the original (many fakes being sold on eBay are refurbs with knockoff casing)?

5. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Why not just go to an Apple store find out directly from them?

6. timidhermit thread starter macrumors 6502

Done that. Most unhelpful. Asked to call Apple directly instead because in-store out-of-warranty care for the original phone no longer supported.

7. hondaivtec2007 macrumors newbie

I don't think apple will have stock my friend had a broken iphone 3 and they replaced it with the 4 for free because they didn't have stock. So I don't think they will have the 2. Definitely let us know if they do

8. timidhermit thread starter macrumors 6502

The Apple store I visited won't even agree to let me order the replacement phone and leave the old phone with them at the store. Instead, they said that I have to go through AppleCare by phone. They said the earliest phone they will deal with is iPhone 3G. :(