Get Adobe Acrobat X out of my Safari!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yendis, Jan 27, 2011.

1. yendis macrumors newbie

So Im using Adobe X for my school PDF notes (I've been using noterize to make them on the iPad and transfer them, works really well for me) unfortunately Adobe has hijacked my safari and I cant view PDF files without Adobe and its painfully slow load time.

Now this isn't my first rodeo, I went into the program >> preference >> Internet and found the button to not display web PDF's disabled. You can see this in the photo I attached below.
    Furthermore, I dont even have the internet plug in loaded, so I dont think it could be that!
    Please help Adobe stop ruining my life.

Preferably without uninstalling.
    UNLESS you can recommend another program which will make PDF files which is better... and freeware. I like freeware.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can create pdfs from Safari, Notepad, Word, Pages, etc. quite simply by using File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF:
    ScreenCap 10.PNG
    You can also view PDFs with Preview.

3. yendis thread starter macrumors newbie

My files are PDF to begin with and they I need to be able to merge them into large documents.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can merge pdf files with Preview.

5. yendis thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I know its really annoying to have to individually command click 80 lecture slides to merge them into one document.
    Adobe allows me to drag and drop the entire file and does all the messy work for me.

If you have any tops on stopping adobe from accessing my browser that would be awesome, though.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You say you don't have the plugin loaded, but I feel like you must for it to be running in safari. It's installed when you install acrobat. You can just delete the plugin and keep the app. It may be that it is at the system level and not the user level, or vice versa. Not at a computer to check.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is /Library/Internet Plugins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin.

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

This. In my many battles to uproot Acrobat, I have found this to be the most direct, best way to remove the plugin. Word of warning: depending on your version, if you remove the plugin, Acrobat will forever refuse to update.

I HATE Acrobat. It is the most invasive program that isn't officially a virus.

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Highlight all the PDFs you want to view in the same window and drag and drop those PDFs on the Preview.app icon. You can also put all the PDFs into a folder and drag it onto the Preview.app icon. Does that accomplish what you want?

10. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

11. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

^^This.

It's also what's suggested under the first entry for "Known Issues" here.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/870/cpsid_87060.html

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, that opens them in separate windows. To merge them into one document, you have to use the sidebar in Preview and drag pdfs to the sidebar. You can open the first pdf, then grab a number of others and drag them all to the sidebar, so it's quite simple. You just have to have the first one open to begin with.

13. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

There's also an Automator action that does this (Combine PDF Pages).

14. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Works for me in Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Interesting! I wonder why it's different between L and SL?

16. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

After thinking about it, I prefer the Leopard behavior as I usually work with larger PDFs in separate Windows that I don't want to view in one large meta-document.

17. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

it's a preview preference setting which determines how the files are opened (multi windows, single, etc.)

fwiw, if you're set to open a bunch of pdfs in a single window and you'd like to combine them-- via preview sidebar, just drag the ones you want to add and drop them on top of the one you'd like to add it to..

18. munkery, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

What are the chances something like that could be set in preferences? LOL

Ah, I see. To view PDFs in one Preview window, you can drag them to open space in the Preview sidebar. To merge PDFs into a single document with Preview, you have to drag them on top of another PDF in the Preview sidebar.

Attached Files:

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's only in SL. In Leopard, that setting only applies to images. As you can see, I have that selected for images. There is no such setting for pdfs.
    ScreenCap 11.PNG ScreenCap 12.PNG