Get iPhone 5 or go with 4S or 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by longball11, Oct 5, 2012.

1. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I have had an iPhone 4 since the debut on Verizon in Feb. 2011. I am eligible for an upgrade mid-October. I am debating whether i should upgrade my iPhone 4 to 4S or 5. I am considering the 4S because I am concerned with the criticism of the iPhone 5 and those involved with iPhone 5 (Foxconn). Any thoughts?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Why does Foxconn matter? They made the 4 and 4S as well.

5. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

5 all day. You won regret it. The complaints you read on here are very real, however it's a minuscule percent. I love my 5 it's perfect

6. darkside flow macrumors 6502

The upgrade from 4 to 4S isn't nearly as worth the upgrade from 4 to 5. No question, go with the 5 unless you have a lot of accessories that you don't wan't to part with.

7. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Get the 4S and you'll regret it more then you will ever regret getting the 5.

Owning the iPhone 5, makes the 4 feel/look so much thicker. You'll feel like you're owning an old piece of technology.

It's not really an upgrade if you go from the 4 to 4S.

Owning the 5, if there is a 5S next year I'll be waiting for the 6 the year after.

8. Insilin1i macrumors regular

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Personally, Ive never understood why people paying $100+ a month phone bills would cheap out on the actual phone. An iPhone 4S is nice but its a 1yr old phone that will be 3yrs old when your contract expires so why not just get the newest possible?

10. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Well said!

11. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Never get a old model on a 2 year contract.

Spend the extra $100 so the company cares about you longer and your phone works well longer.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'd highly suggest the i5.

However, if money is an issue, def get the 4S.

Don't get the 4. It's 2 generations old now and will soon be obsolete.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

My old 4 under the latest ios is fine. Sturdier and more of a quality feel than the toy like too-slim 5 and it's anemic battery life and scratch-prone casing. I'm extending the 4 with Straight Talk, don't know for how long. Perhaps at least until the present supply and manufacturing problems of the 5 ceases to occur; or maybe even after the supply and manufacturing issues of the future 6 are solved.

14. praetorx macrumors regular

I own both and I mixed feelings. While I definitely appreciate the premium build quality of my 4S I like the feel and size of my iPhone 5 better.
    I wish Apple kept the front-back glass body.

15. erixip macrumors newbie

I dont see why you wouldnt get the 5 as you have a 14-30 day trial so you are not stuck with it should you get one that has issues.

I think the phone's qualities are great enough and if you get lucky with a good one you will be happy. And I say that even though mine has some bugs with wifi and BT.

16. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Get the 5.........while you could live perfectly fine with a 4S now, that will probably will not will be the case over the 2 year contract.

17. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

If you are planning to upgrade, why would you not upgrade to the iP5?

18. psblake macrumors member

get a 4 if you want a free phone or 5 if you can afford it 4S is a waste of space.

19. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Totally agree with the bunch here - go for the 5!

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If you must have the latest, buy the 5.

If you want the best iPhone ever, buy the 4S.

The 4S is far and away, the phone to have. I've got both, had so many problems with the first 5, I took it back & Apple replaced it with another new iPhone 5. The second phone was a bit better, yet still to problematic to use everyday.

So I shelved it & I'm back using the 4S, enjoying it more than ever. Little did I realize just how frequently I use Google maps & how great they are. Apple Maps are just useless since they can't be trusted & have so many errors of omission. While I feel that it's likely that Apple will get them fixed, I can't wait for that to happen.

Then there's iOS 5, which is fast reliable & so much better than this early version of iOS 6. With all the issues it has, reflected in the various threads here, saves me from having to list them all.

At the end of the day the iPhone 4S remains the finest iPhone of all.

21. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

22. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

23. Surrylic, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

Surrylic macrumors regular

The 5 currently blows the 4S out of the water in every respect excluding battery life, where it's only a little better. Go with the 5 man, it's so much faster that I personally believe more developers are going to start taking advantage of that speed and in 6 months to a year that 4S won't be so quick anymore. Just a theory though. On it's own the 4S is still pretty quick right now.

Plus my 5 delivered in perfect condition on launch day and is still 100% fine. Don't worry about the negative hype :)

Agreed! If you're using Straight Talk then buy whatever phone you want, but if you're on a contract and way over paying for your monthly service then you need to have the phone company give you as much phone for your dollar as you can get.

If you were on ST or something similar I MIGHT check into eBay or Amazon for a used 4S... But since you're on contract go 5.

24. jigmeister macrumors member

dont get the 5... Ive got it.. its stunning..but the scratches it gets..either white or black are ridiculous.

sending mine back. Will see what the 5s is like...

25. Manta-X macrumors member