Get iphone 5 via preorder but not extend contract on ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by el3ctone, Sep 13, 2012.

1. el3ctone macrumors member

I've been trying to understand how this is all going to work from reading various threads but I've yet to see anyone in my specific situation.

I am currently with AT&T and have been with them for 10 months. I currently have the 4S.
    I want to get the iPhone 5 via preorder, but since they aren't selling them unlocked does that mean i'm SOL, because I don't want it to affect my contract length, period.

It seems from my comprehension through various threads that the only way I CAN get the iPhone 5 asap is to get it as an Upgrade for $449, which will of course extend my contract 2 more years(which I don't want).

EDIT:
    I'm willing(want) to pay the full retail price. It just seems that they aren't going to allow that until later on.

Can anyone shine some light? Thanks!

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Just buy it at no contract pricing which is full retail.

3. el3ctone thread starter macrumors member

just edited my post, seems like I left out an important part:

I'm willing(want) to pay the full retail price. It just seems that they aren't going to allow that until later on. Am I correct?

4. el3ctone, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

el3ctone thread starter macrumors member

I currently qualify for the $449 Upgrade pricing which renews my contract, but I'd rather pay 649 and leave my contract alone. Is that going to be possible? I know people who don't qualify for early upgrade because they don't have an iphone on the line are able to 649 pricing on the eligibility check page