Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi all,

A long time MR reader and loiterer in the forums. As I know the often shaky iPhone pre-order launch due to high demand I though I'd help people out.

I've created a little script - only took me an hour, so apologies for any bugs etc. It *should* hopefully notify you via a free push notification delivery app in the Appstore (Boxcar) when iPhone 5 Pre-orders go live (in the UK)!

I've just coded it for the UK, however I'm guessing they all go online around the same time.

As the US pre-order launch is slated for the middle of the night, hopefully it'll help those that don't want to stay up all night waiting - leave it by your bed and hopefully it'll alert you at the right time!

There's no guarantee it'll work - just my 'best guess' :) I'm about 75% confident :p So.. if you're a hard core Apple fan (like myself) then you might not want to rely 100% on it. I just hope it helps some people.

Find it over at http://notify.acudworth.co.uk :)

Any questions, drop me a tweet @adamcudworth.

Hope it helps people :)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Oh I see what you're doing here...making a dummy app to trick us into thinking we'll be alerted when preorders start so you can claim all those iPhone 5s for yourself!!!

Nice try, man.

Nah, this is cool. I was actually hoping someone would make something like this. I think I'll try it.

acud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Haha :)

I hope it works - it's looks to see if the page is live every minute and then will broadcast a message out to all subscribers.

Not a big fan of boxcar but one of the only free apps that offers the functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.