Get Out!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have to say that I agree with President Karzai on this issue more than President Obama.

Let's get out! Sooner is better than later!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Last I heard late 2014 is the date.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's time to accelerate the withdrawal. Time to build roads and schools at home.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yes we should leave but Karzai has not done anything good to help his country either.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I believe that the only reason we're in Afghanistan is because Obama cannot appear weak. Can you imagine the firestorm from conservatives if he accelerated his departure timeline? Then it would be a chorus or "cut and run," "retreat," etc.

The president is simply locked in to his plan until at least after the election.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Lets hope it's not helicopters from the roof again:cool:

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The CIA doesn't choose its stooges very well, does it?

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

It frightens me when the foreign policy of the world's only major superpower is determined by whether or not it's an election year...

9. Rennir macrumors 6502

As are a lot of other important things, such as US monetary and fiscal policy...

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh please, when isn't any nation's foreign policy not affected by politics? It sucks but it's reality.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama had his window of opportunity when we killed Osama. He didn't take it so don't start with the "conservatives are making him stay there" ********.

Here's how you do it. Kill Osama, mission accomplished we are coming home boys.

Problem solved.

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

What a horrible reason for a president to base a decision.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Pointing fingers? Why I never... :rolleyes:

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It is a big cynical on my part.

But the outcry from the right would be deafening.

I believe he decided early on not to give them that opportunity.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

So let's keep our soldiers in harms way, spend billions of dollars we don't have... all so that a few far right wing bats don't cry foul. Great leader. :rolleyes:

16. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yeah, I think I'd have a little more respect for the guy if he didn't let politics dictate his policy—he should be commanding his own policy. It's almost as if we're saying it's ok to not pull out because poor Obama has to deal with the right wingers… never mind the Afghans that don't even want us there and the troops that would rather be home with their families.

17. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Karzai is just a muppet of sorts who's being voiced by the Taliban and tribal alliances but being steered by NATO forces. It's as if the mouth and body were in complete disconnect these past few years-- thats the price of trying to play ball for both sides.

I'm all for bringing the troops home, but my primary concern lies in the state we leave it in-- there's a strong chance that if we leave now the whole "war" would have been pointless-- the Taliban will likely take control once again. They're already starting to.

I think the bigger issue lies with the people and their (lack of) education-- they clearly support the status quo, which eventually involves sharia and the Taliban taking afghanistan back to the 7th century.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I'm concerned about that too, I can't see any reasonable measure that would allow us to control that end result. I think the best thing we can do is let the Afghanis determine that end themselves, while working with the U.N. and neighboring countries to provide humanitarian relief.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think the country will ever change and the Taliban will just wait us out and take over whenever we leave, be it 6 months or 10 years. We have seen that the Afghan people don't care about their country or well being and will just bow down to the Taliban so I call it a lost cause at this point.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The Taliban is willing to fight for the next 10,000 years ... Osama is dead ... why are we still over there?

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Agreed. For whatever reason, fighting is a way of life for a lot of people in that region of the world. There's so many fractured tribes that don't get along and there always is some sort of power struggle going on. It's been raging for thousands of years, and I see no sign of that changing. Any country that enters, just gets bogged down in the quagmire too.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agree with your first sentence.

Disagree with the second.

I am pretty sure the Afghan people are like any other group of people in the world: they care about their well being, and they care about their government and how it rules over their country.

We don't need to paint the population as some kind of subhuman race.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If this were true Afghanistan would be in better shape then they are, the country is only as good as the people in it and if they don't care the country will fall apart. They really don't have a government and have been led by the Taliban for decades, we come in to get rid of that influence and it's like the people don't care.

24. remmy macrumors 6502a

The Afghanistan people tend to back who ever has the power and is winning. For a short while it was the Allied troops and now it is the Taliban or some local warlord who has made some deal.

25. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

The only reasonable measure would have been to actually go in full-force and eliminate or capture the majority or all of the Taliban. Unfortunately, we had an opportunity from day 1, but refused to consider that option on the table. I blame the current administration at the time... Rumsfeld was an idiot. If you're going to invade a country, you might as well do it properly. None of this special forces ******** that he tried (and failed) at Tora Bora-- if they had half a brain at the time Bin Laden would have been caught then, not years later in Paki-we all know he was there-stan. If we had actually gone in and treated it like a war (full force) and not some wimpy troop surge five years down the line we could have addressed the Taliban head on instead of this patrol to mountain fighting thats currently taking place. It was and is poor strategy. Never go into a war (or conflict, technically) without the intent to go full force-- you would have thought Vietnam was a lesson.

My cynical side would tend to agree, sadly. While comments about not classifying them (the Afghanis) as some sort of subhuman race are correct, they are in fact being very human. They do care about their country but at this point they don't know any better. It's pretty psychological-- they've been under Taliban rule since the Russians first showed up and now they don't know anything different. The same applies to modern Russia who doesn't know fair elections, except there they have an addiction to ultra-strong borderline dictatorial leadership (if not true dictators)... look at the ruling person(s) in the past 200 years in Russian history.