Get ready to be BENT OVER THE BARRELL in your own HOME!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

3. jonter19 macrumors member

Most providers have some type of cap. Most people, however, never come close to reaching the cap so it's no big deal.

By the way, what does this have to do with the iPhone? Probably needs to go in a different forum.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Home brodband caps designed to thwart people from getting their tv content elsewhere? Look at what netflix just had to do to deal with canada data caps. I could deal with small data on my phone but not at home.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Time Warner...aka Roadrunner.... tried to implement very limiting caps a few years ago fyi

8. WildGuess macrumors regular

The first comment in the first article made me think. One AEBS on full power could supply six apartments around me. Charge them each ten bucks a month and my high speed internet AND land line is free.

9. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Old news but it still sucks. Too bad FIOS isn't in the west coast.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Who the hell uses DSL and AT&T as an ISP anyway? Seems like a bad idea all around.

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I didn't even know Comcast had caps, and I have them! I use Apple TV. I don't think it's fair that I'm using data while simply watching a movie that I already own and am just transferring from one device to another in my home.

Screw AT&T and screw Comcast. I will be switching to Fios after reading this.

12. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

The cap only applies to the internet. What you move around your internal network whether wireless or hardwire has nothing to do with those caps. You streaming a movie from iTunes that you bought to your Apple TV means nothing to the service providers. Now if you are sending that movie to a friend...that would be a different story.

And dont worry about the internet caps. I use Netflix instant streaming plus lots and lots of internet use and never ever come close to hitting the caps Comcast has. Log into your account and it will show you how much data you are using. Most people overreact when hearing about caps for no reason as most never get close to using their limits.

Jason

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I just switched to FIOS from Comcast the other day for a variety of reasons. One of them being they put a cap on my data without telling me.

It's early on in the relationship, but so far I am a lot happier with FIOS.

14. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yeah at least Comcast gives you a massive 250GB.

In order to avoid becoming just a wholesaler of "bits" the ISP's are going to continue to try and ratchet up their prices. They are continually facing declining margins.

Let's face it they benefited directly from a Government license and built businesses with lots of vice presidents and can't figure out how to change their model.

The only hope is the continued development of competition through 4G wireless and those guys are not going to be exactly liberal on limits either. Just wait until 50% of your neighborhood is pinging the local cellular tower for 4G data at 8pm on a Thursday night. They better build lots.

15. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i dont do this but my friend whos family might switch does. he plays on xbox live, ps3's online service, and netflix. id say total in a month he spends about 100 hours on it especially during the summer when hes off from school. im just thinking this just him doing this, this is not counting the other family members going online.

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

late to the party aren't we?

I called Att the day I found out about this and they could't tell me how much data I was using a month. I download a lot, stream from netflix and play 360 online so this could be interesting I might be end up getting rid of my uverse internet.