Get rid of iOS 5.1 (Settings) update badge? iOS 5.0.1

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I have an iPhone 4S, jailbroken on 5.0.1, so of course I have no desire to update to 5.1 at this time. Is there a cydia tweak, or otherwise, that'll allow me to remove the annoying red badge on the settings icon telling me that I have an iOS update?

Thanks!

rtk86

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
download from cydia "No Update" - it will take the badge away and it also won't let you update even if you tried until you turn the tweak off.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
download from cydia "No Update" - it will take the badge away and it also won't let you update even if you tried until you turn the tweak off.
I did and ran it and the badge is still there but now doesn't show an update when I go into the settings. Any way to kill that particular badge?

----------

try "noOTA badge". Worked for 5.0.1. Not sure if it still works for 5.1.
This one worked great :)

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
The 5.1 update badge finally showed up for my 4S today and I got rid of it with the 'noOTA' tweak.

However does the iPhone AUTOMATICALLY update the software when connected to WiFi (or are updates ONLY done manually)?

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
The 5.1 update badge finally showed up for my 4S today and I got rid of it with the 'noOTA' tweak.

However does the iPhone AUTOMATICALLY update the software when connected to WiFi (or are updates ONLY done manually)?
Only manually - fortunately!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I use the noki HD theme so the notification badge is not the red style one, but instead a number 1 in a small grey box.

i don't really want to have to download a tweak(s) simply to mask this.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

The download is done in the background
As long as you don't push the install button, it will not install.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
i don't really want to have to download a tweak(s) simply to mask this.
Me too.
I rather not install stuff not necessary.
I can live with a badge there. Im not that OCD:D

i thought MN stated that the OTA's don't work on JB phone anyway DH?
That is correct.
Even if you tried to update OTA on a JB device it will just give you an error.
Thanks Apple for having our back:D

pault106

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Essex
Me too.
I rather not install stuff not necessary.
I can live with a badge there. Im not that OCD:D
Bit late but this worked for me....

install ifile, or another file manager, go to var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard/applicationstate.plist and choose the com.apple.Preferences and then change the SBApplicationBadgeKey from "1" to "0" to remove the badge.

;)

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA

install ifile, or another file manager, go to var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard/applicationstate.plist and choose the com.apple.Preferences and then change the SBApplicationBadgeKey from "1" to "0" to remove the badge.

;)
Also late, but Springtomize (which is useful anyway) allows you to disable badges. If you already have it, it saves you from having to install another tweak...

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK

;)
Will doing that affect other badges too? Or just the settings app.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I decided to download "software update killer" to remove my badge. Removed badge and all update icons in the settings as well. I'm on 5.0.1