Get rid of pages asking to save .doc files as .pages when no changes are made?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cashel, Feb 25, 2009.

1. cashel macrumors member

I'm using Pages to take notes and save everything in pages, same for Numbers, and Keynote. I've also got documents that were created in MS Office and saved in those formats. Is there any way I can stop pages, keynote, numbers from asking to save the MS Office documents as iWork documents when there are NO changes made? It's annoying to open up a document to review something and be asked to save changes every time I close it without actually making any changes.

2. iMacmatician macrumors 601

You can click "No" when asked to save, but I don't know of a way to actually stop the message from popping up.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are not being asked to save an Office document; you are being asked to save an iWork document. If you want iWork to create an Office file, then you must use File > Export.... The Office document that you opened in in iWork is not an Office document at all. It is a copy converted to iWork format. It is a brand new unsaved document. If you don't want iWork to ask if you want to save, then you should save. After future openings without changes, it won't ask you to save.

4. cashel thread starter macrumors member

Right, that's the point I was trying to get across. How do I stop iWork from creating a new document to save? I just want to quickly open up an office document to review some information and get back to business. I don't need or want to save a copy of it in iWork format.

5. matei24 macrumors newbie

I made this account just so i could say this.

I have never used a more annoying word processor in my life.
    Not only can you not get rid of that stupid message asking to save every format in to .pages (so it can be opened on 1 type of machine only) every time i open the program it also opens 6000000 million documents that i have opened in the past and have not saved them to .pages.

This program makes it impossible to work with. If i want to quickly look through a document it will open all other documents from 2005... Im not sure what kind of **** program this is but there is no way of turning that off or disabling the message. Also if you go to preferences you have 3 options.
    Notepad had more options than this.

Good luck :)

PS: i am uninstalling this right now and reinstalling office 2011

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

We appreciate you registering to resurrect a three year old thread.

Kudos

7. matei24 macrumors newbie

Nice to see they did something about it since.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Talk to Apple. We had nothing to do with it.