Get the 15" MBP i7 2.66 Ghz now, or just wait for Sandy Bridge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fel10, Feb 6, 2011.

  1. fel10, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

    fel10 macrumors 68000

    fel10

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Location:
    Woodstock, GA USA
    #1
    I'm looking to upgrade my MBP late 2009 Core 2 Duo, to the latest MBP. I know that the new MBP will be released in just a few months, but would it be that big of an upgrade from the i7 processor to the new Sandy Bridge one?

    I use Pixelmator, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iWeb and surf the web. Would I notice any improvement in performance with the 2.66 GHz i7 MBP?
     
  2. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

    Funkymonk

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #2
    Mvp 17" is pretty future proof so just get it :)
     
  3. lshirase macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
  4. deadlystriker macrumors regular

    deadlystriker

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    #4
    You should wait for the refresh. The 2009 MBP will tide you through.
     
  5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

    Fubar1977

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    North Yorkshire, UK
    #5
    If you need it now, get it now it will be more than fast enough for your requirements.
    Rumors and speculation about new SB models are just that, rumors and speculation.
     
  6. Raqem macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    #6
    Wait.

    I hear around here that Sandy Bridge won't be that big of a deal and that the current i5/i7 processors are so much better than the Core 2 Duo ones, but what I hear from the CPU experts is the exact opposite. Sandy Bridge is going to be a huge deal, and if you have the time I recommend looking up what's new with Sandy Bridge. A lot of neat stuff is coming.
     
  7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

    Fubar1977

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    North Yorkshire, UK
    #7
    @Raqem: I still don`t believe the OP will see much benefit TBH, there`s nothing there really that requires huge amounts of grunt, maybe Pixelmator but that will still fly on the current architecture.
     
  8. newdeal macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    #8
    ...

    Doesn't really matter if its future proof does it? You have a late 2009 computer and you already want another one, just buy it and then if you want the new one when it comes then sell it and buy the new one
     
  9. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #9
    I personally wouldn't replace a computer that soon, but if you're going to you might as well wait for Sandy Bridge.
     
  10. Sherman90 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    #10
    One thing I've learned from using a recent Macbook Air for the last week or so is that all this hype over processors and RAM is a useless diversion. At this stage of the game, unless you're ACTUALLY doing some serious, processor-intensive work with your machine, making noticeable LEAPS in performance requires ditching a mechanical HD for an SSD. Period.

    Case in point: for day-to-day tasks, the a 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo Air with 2GB RAM will be faster than your 17" i7 2.66 with 4GB etc. etc.

    P.S. I sold my MBA to keep with my 17" i7. I figure I'll get a SSD when the prices come down enough.

    Do what you will!
     
  11. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

    fel10

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Location:
    Woodstock, GA USA
    #11
    I'm still kind of knowing what to do. I think I would be fine with the 2.66 i7, since I'm only going to be using it mostly for iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, Pixelmator, and surfing the web, I don't think the Sandy Bridge will make that much difference compared to the i7.
     

Share This Page