Get the 256GB SSD with the MBP or buy a 3rd party SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Illegit, May 19, 2009.

1. Illegit macrumors newbie

I'm planning on buying the unibody 17" MBP. I want to get a 256GB SSD with it, but I am unsure of the quality of the SSD that can comes with the MBP. It is a $750 upgrade and 3rd party 256GB SSD drives tend to be slightly less expensive. The price is not really a factor. What I really want to know is how does the performance of the standard Apple 256GB SSD compare to the performance of a 3rd party SSD? Should I get the SSD included with the MBP or buy one separately? And if I should buy one separately, which model SSD should I get?

Thanks.

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I'd get one separately. Either the 250/6gb Vertex, Summit, or Corsair.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The Solid State Drive that Apple uses is Samsung based.

Samsung is the only other manufactuerer of controllers, the other being Intel, that can actually make a controller worth something.

The Samsung 256GB drive is really good, featuring 220MB/s read and 200MB/s write speeds without suffering stuttering, like many other Solid State Drives suffers from.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if the price isn't a factor, get the apple drive so you will be covered by them in the event of a problem with it - that would surely be worth the cost of applecare also.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

That's what I was gonna say too.

I would also get it from Apple. If down the line you begin to have problems with the SSD, Apple might replace it for a more current/better SSD.