Get the iPhone over the GS3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EclipzeRemix, Sep 25, 2012.

1. EclipzeRemix macrumors newbie

EclipzeRemix

D you guys think the iPhone is a better option, lets say I like iOS and android the same, what would be the better device

2. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

this is an Apple forum, i think you know what everyone is going to say. To me, its a no brainer iphone 5 all the way. If you want a cheap plastic device, that force closes all the time go with the GSIII. As soon as those things came out in my store, people were bringing them back. Easy decision

3. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

loving my gs3, especially with AOKP Jelly Bean. You can just do so much more with it. Roms, Kernels, Radios, Themes, weird apps...

But the jewelry aspect of the iphone is appealing.

Like Woz said "iphones are the best smartphones for people who are afraid of computers"

4. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

All the benchmarks are giving i5 higher scores. It just got noticed as having the best screen/display. And personally a friend and I did side by side Internet load tests to several sites and my phone was significantly faster

5. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

The Galaxy S3 is a wonderful phone, without it I might not have been able to afford to buy my unlocked iPhone 5 :D

T-Mobile gave me one for free on upgrade, I still had my iP4 which was still better quality, the S3 just felt cheap and plasticky, and text input on the s3 was horrible, where I can touch type quite quick on the iPhone I found I had to use one finger tip and slowly tap to be accurate on the S3, I don't think their algorithm controlling the onscreen keyboard is very good, and copy/paste and select is much more awkward.

I boxed the S3 up and it sold quickly and at a good price, after selling the S3 and my iP4 I actually made a profit on buying my iP5 :).

6. Radiating, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

Radiating macrumors 65816

Lets see:

1. The hardware of the iPhone scores higher in benchmarks than any US android or apple phone (and many laptops)

http://gizmodo.com/5943988/the-iphone-5-is-more-powerful-than-the-fastest-powerbook-ever-made

2. The screen of the iPhone scores higher than any display that has ever been tested.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

The cameras are better in every important way by huge margins. 2x the resolving power and 5.2x the low light abbility.

The micophones are better

The speakers are better

The connector is 14 times more versatile and reversible.

It's made of ceramic glass and aluminium with no plastic visible on the oustside versus toys 'R' us plastic.

The bottom line is that ignoring software the iPhone 5 is better than the GS3 other than the following features:

NFC
    Removable Storage (though the removable sotrage is over 20 times slower than the iPhone's internal storage and would take over 15 seconds to load a typical 300mb game)
    Removable Battery (though LTE call time and real world battery usage is noticably worse around 20% and 30% respectivly keep in mind)
    Screen Size (though at a sacrifice of quality and keep in mind the text size is identical so you can't read it better and a 4" screen is the largest you can comfortably use with one hand you could not stretch your hand further without noticable discomfort for most people)

If you NEED any of these features above having every other thing better, then get the GS3, if you don't need one or more of these features above all else, then get the iPhone 5. It's that simple.

Hope that helps)

7. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Woz is a moron then.

I'm not afraid of any computer, but I want my smartphone to just WORK without having to tinker with it for hours like someone with Aspergers.

8. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I have been testing that, and I am getting 1628 on geekbench scores, so they are actually about the same on there.

9. Sneakyfox macrumors regular

Sneakyfox

Everything the S3 does, the iPhone 5 does better.

And personally, I dont like plastic phones, so the S3 is an instant no - one of the reasons I despise BlackBerry Curves - Cheap, nasty phones for teenagers who want to be all up in the 'BBM hype'.

10. youspork macrumors newbie

iPhone is better, if you look at the hardware and benchmark it destroys it. The OS is really a personal choice

11. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

you have to customize it to your liking. get a better keyboard, a better rom, a better kernel and a better radio. Thats the + of android you customize it to your liking then its the best for you.

if your not into making things work for you and just want a vanilla phone thats the same for everyone then the iphone is best for you, my mom has one and loves it.

12. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Sold my Galaxy S3 on Swappa this morning...

It was on par with the iPhone 4. Not the 4S and not even close to the 5 for me.
    The screen is too big. The keyboard is not responsive. The plastic body was a scratch and fingerprint magnet.

Don't get me started on the poor call quality.

----------

That's part of the problem...You have to go through all of this trouble to get the phone to work even remotely properly.

13. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

It wasn't my first android phone, I had the original S, and the S2 (still got the S2 as my work phone) and I tried every keyboard in the Play Store, hell, I even PAID for some keyboards (with my Nexus 7 store credit) like Thumb keyboard and Swiftkey.

None of the android keyboards match the iPhone keyboard for preciseness (and none of the android tabs match the iPad keyboard).

I remember years ago reading about an Apple patent where the keyboard guesses on your next letter and widens the area of the letter and narrows the area of surrounding keys making slightly off centre touches still give you the correct key. The androids don't have that system.

Selecting a word, and copy, paste are abysmal on most android, the S3 was awful, I almost threw the Nexus 7 out of a window trying to correct some text.

Apple is King of the keyboard.

14. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

I have a gs3 and a iPhone 5. The gs3 is on eBay. Lemme know if you wanna link lol

15. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

We can't answer that for you. Both phones are wonderful. It comes down to which OS and ecosystem you prefer. Android is much better if you like to customize things. iOS is better if you like things to just work. iOS is also far and away the best for timely updates. For the time being the iPhone 5 looks to be the fastest phone in the land but that will change shortly I'm sure when the next flagship Android phone comes out. iPhones also tend to have much better resale value.

16. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

That could just be down to build quality and the perception of build materials.

The android phones seem to look and feel cheaper and cheaper with each model, (Samsung is definitely guilty of this), the original S was quite well made, even though it was all plastic, the S2 still feels well put together but the plastic is cheaper and scruffier, the S3 is horrible shiny plastic (almost like it was produced from recycled plastic) and creaks and flexes. Every time I pulled the back cover off the S3 I cringed thinking it was going to crack.

The iP4 and 4s have held their look and feeling of high quality build well, and so therefore their value remains high. People will still aspire to an iP4, no one aspires to an original Galaxy S.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to demand.

18. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

I agree with most people here- Iphone 5.

I actually considered getting the GS3- I liked some of the features it came with. Then when the iPhone 5 was officially announced and the same features appeared it was an obvious choice. Not to mention any idevice's you may have all can work with each other which was another key choice for me.

19. wellok macrumors 6502

Is it really possible to be indifferent when it comes to Android vs. iOS? Forget specs, the OS would be my #1 factor. They're both strong devices spec-wise, but I want iOS, so iPhone 5 it is. I don't think I've ever even heard of someone who had no preference whatsoever.

20. Spicedham macrumors regular

Had the s3 for a couple months. It does everything but nothing well.

21. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Not really, I was discussing the reasons behind the resale value of iPhones in general, not just the 5.

Look at eBay, and forums that have classifieds for electronic goods and there are many 4's and 4s's up for sale, more than the current demand for them I would guess.

The lack of demand has probably forced the price down a little (in UK terms £30-50 down), but they are still selling even though it is currently a buyers market.

My direct comparison was the 4 to the original Galaxy S (being of a similar time of release) and no one is looking to buy the Galaxy, but the perception of luxury, build quality and image still see people buying the 4 at a good price.

----------

Spot on, exactly how I felt.

22. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

I had an iPhone for a few years, spent the last two years on Android, and had my 5 delivered last week.

Android is fantastic, but its real strength is when you take advantage of everything that it can do. It really can do a lot, and if you need that stuff, then it's great. My problem was that I didn't need it and, while it was cool for a bit, tinkering for the sake of it just got old, and the things that iOS does better looked more attractive.

So my answer is a question: Do you want to mess with it or do you want it to just ****ing work? ;)

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Not just the 5. The 4 and 4S, too. There are over 50 android phones that have been released since the 4 and there are only 3 iPhones over the same period.

Just over a year ago I tried to sell my Motorola Droid on gazelle. There is absolutely no market for a two year old Android phone, but the equivalent iPhone, the 3G, was going for at least ten times the value of the MotoDroid.

I use gazelle as a source because Gazelle is a resale site, so they know what they can sell. Now you can still sell a 3G for $20, but no equivalent android phone (Droid, Droid 2, Droid X) will sell on the site.