Get the lead out! BBC article about paper confirming link between lead and crime

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Apr 21, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

These papers are not that new, but, the BBC decided to do a Magazine article about the link between lead and crime and used them as sources.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615

From the article itself:

http://www.nber.org/papers/w13097

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

An entire episode of the new Cosmos was just devoted to lead.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Andy. Those jokes don't work for several reasons:

1) There is no causal mechanism proposed or indeed likely possible to be proposed that links the number of pirates to global warming or the number of lemons imported from Mexico to highway fatalities.
    2) those data look made up anyway. I'm pretty sure there were more than 17 pirates in the world in 2000, considering there are thousands in Somalia alone.
    3) for the pirate/temp chart, that's not the way to construct a scatter plot. The number of pirates should be plotted on a linear or log scale, not as categorical values.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The pirate graph is well-known religious doctrine. venganza.org is the domain that promotes

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is a vast stock of Victorian housing over here still fed by lead water pipes. As these pipes are gradually replaced, can we expect a reduction in transportation to the colonies?

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Only to Australia.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

According to the RIAA and MPAA, EVERYBODY is a pirate.:D

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Amusing, but, yes, that is why the followup studies are so important. As always, you can grab a bunch of random variables at some given time, and some of them will be correlated. The combination of longitudinal and detailed regional cross-sectional studies in this case make that kind of random correlation extremely unlikely.

11. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I guess the study would have to increase to every heavy metal.

The only proof to validate this argument would be using chelation. Then use correlation techniques to provide information on the reduction of current offenders, repeating a crime. We would not incarcerate them, we would give them chelation and set them free.

12. VulchR, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

All I know is that a colleague of mine was having problems keeping brain tissue (cultures and slices) alive in his lab. His colleague down the hall using the same equipment did not. They swapped equipment and still the problem persisted in the one lab. It boiled down to the fact that the the 'good' lab had the plumbing renovated with plastic pipes. My colleague's lab was still connected to the water supply with lead pipes. Once the proper water purification kit was installed in my colleague's lab to remove the lead, the tissues he grew were quite healthy.

I know, I know: anecdote ≠ evidence, but this story seems somewhat plausible. My concern is about possible confounding variables that also peaked over the same time period.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Unfortunately, chelation therapy will only stop the damage process, allowing the body to heal. But, in neurological development, there are developmental windows-- miss the window, and, you will never be able to get back to where you would have been. Children with chronic lead exposure do not fully recover to the point where they would have been had they never been exposed.

Interesting idea -- see if people in prison still have high levels of blood, and, if they do -- treat it. My guess is that long-term prisoners have fairly low levels of lead already, though. Because of all the new prisons we have built, prisons should be low-lead environments now compared to where the prisoners came from. The real problem is that the damage has already been done.

General interest article here:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

The only link between crime and lead is that in the UK there's a lot of lead theifs who steal church roofs.

15. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

It would be interesting to see if house painters and auto body mechanics, who had lots of lead exposure in the 60s and 70s, had higher crime rates than auto mechanics or carpet layers.

I think the big reason for the reduced crime rate is less boredom due to technology. Plus there are less teenagers around. They're trouble. ;)

16. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Well with all the Lead based solder I use and Lead based ammo I fire I should be a be in jail for life or at least have some violent crime history.

All I have is anemia, blueish gums and tingling in my hands and feet.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I believe the critical period is ante-natal through early childhood.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In the various cited articles, it is explained that lead is much more toxic for small children. Even so, making your own ammo, as well as working on stained glass with lead joints, working with leaded pottery glazes, and heavy indoor shooting range exposure, can actually give an adult a toxic dose. Some of this was in the articles that I already posted. Here is a Wikipedia reference (not a source) if you don't want to dig through other stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

More Wikipedia. Not a source, but, it is work to go back and read the original articles.

19. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Forgot to mention I grew in a house with Lead paint and asbestos

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unless you habitually licked the woodwork, you were probably ok.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As George Takai would say.... Ohh myy.

22. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I wonder if old lead ammunition leaching out into the ground will be a future problem.

23. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

For actual ranges(business, club, etc) the EPA is pretty strict about clean up and air handlers(indoor).

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The EPA weren't always around though. Where I live, a former outdoor range cost millions to cleanup.