Get toggles without jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by topherg, Jan 14, 2012.

1. topherg macrumors regular

Don't know if this has been posted before but thought it would be helpful even if it has. I found this link over in the android forums of all places. It lets you add quick launch toggle like icons for wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode etc... to your home screen like this:
    [​IMG]

Here's the link to get the toggles:
    http://brdrck.me/settings/

Again sorry if this has been posted already!

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

It has been posted already. But I remember everyone saying that it doesn't work on 5.0.1. I'm on 5.0.1 and it works just fine for me. Using the Wifi toggle.

3. topherg thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the repost! I have the Bluetooth, wifi, and airplane mode. My pic didn't show up in the above post but they work on 5.0.1.

4. Power Ranger macrumors member

I believe it is said that in 5.1 that brdrck.me, as well as other toggle apps, supposedly becomes incompatible.

5. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

6. twz22 macrumors newbie

so, the warning about the changing your profile, etc...is that something to worry about? can't these be simply installed or would i need to revert to a backup if i don't like it/want it anymore? just a little paranoid.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Thanks! Works for the most part for me in 5.0.1. I say for the most part because it's not a toggle just brings up the menu. But that's better then nothing.

A toggle would turn the device on an off. That literally saves zero button pressing if you have settings on the home screen. Looks nice though!

8. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

You can remove it in your Settings when you do not need them anymore. Ive used them plenty of times and removed them as well.

9. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

10. lordofthereef, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It works great on 5.0.1 however... these are not toggles. They are simple links to pages in your settings apps (very similar to bookmarks to webpages that can be made into icons on your springboard). If they were true toggles, I would need to tap it and be done. Instead, I tap it, it opens that page in the settings app (and does nothing else), and I am required to then toggle whatever feature I was looking for on and off. It is better than going fishing for the settings you mess with most, but it still isn't a true toggle.

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

No way in hell I am updating to 5.1 unless a 4S jailbreak is available for it ;)

12. lordofthereef, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

To go slightly more in depth than anyone has yet gone, these are treated as apps (in terms of GUI, anyway). Each icon can be deleted manually (long press any app and tap the "x" in the upper right of the icon). I just installed all of them and deleted the ones that I knew I would never in a million years use.

13. astrorider macrumors 6502

FYI, I found the version that installed a profile, as opposed to adding a bookmark, was much quicker to open its settings page.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Can you link what you are talking about? I installed a profile as well, in fact I have tried three different ones, but they are all essentially bookmarks.

15. blesio macrumors regular

This doesn't work with ios 5.1 beta 3, bummer... But thanks anyway, great find :)

16. astrorider macrumors 6502

At the site there are two options, for example "Install Wifi Shortcut" and "Alternately, you can add this page to your home screen". The second you add as a Safari bookmark, and in my experience was slower than the first version which is added as a profile in your Settings.app

----------

Did you try both installation methods at the site?

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ah ok. I see what you are referring to. You had me excited there for a second. :(

18. topherg thread starter macrumors regular

19. blesio macrumors regular

The second install option also doesn't work. Bummer