Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I have a unlocked IPhone 5 on Sprint and would like to use it in Canada in Toronto.I would like to use 4G with a Candian SIM card.Can I do this with a Sprint iPhone?Which provider should I chose?Thanks

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I have a unlocked IPhone 5 on Sprint and would like to use it in Canada in Toronto.I would like to use 4G with a Candian SIM card.Can I do this with a Sprint iPhone?Which provider should I chose?Thanks

You can use it in Canada on any of the major carriers (Bell, Rogers and Telus), as well as as some of the smaller brands like Fido and Virgin..

Who you should go with would depend on your needs, length of time spent here, etc.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
You can use it in Canada on any of the major carriers (Bell, Rogers and Telus), as well as as some of the smaller brands like Fido and Virgin..

Who you should go with would depend on your needs, length of time spent here, etc.

Will I be bumped down to 3G instead of 4G with a Sprint iphon5.With a Canadian SIM card

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
You called Sprint to have your iphone 5 unlocked right?
I don't think the bands are compatible so it will not connect to LTE. Just 3G and HSPA+

Yes It is unlocked.Is At@T the only carrier I can get 4G LTE speeds in Canada with a Canadian SIM card

Last edited:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Yes It is unlocked.Is At@T the only carrier I can get 4G LTE speeds in Canada with a Canadian SIM card

I don't think AT&T operates in Canada. You may just want to call sprint and go over with them the bands the iPhone supports so that you can see if you will pick up 4G in Canada.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I don't think AT&T operates in Canada. You may just want to call sprint and go over with them the bands the iPhone supports so that you can see if you will pick up 4G in Canada.

No they don't operate in Canada was just wondering if I unlocked a AT&T phone if I could get LTE in Canada.

Sprint game me this
MHz and bands:
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

AT&T is in the US only.
You wont get LTE speeds outside the US in any North America country with your Sprint iphone 5. Just in Europe and certain places in Asia.

No they don't operate in Canada was just wondering if I unlocked a AT&T phone if I could get LTE in Canada.

Yes, with an unlocked AT&T iphone 5 you can get LTE in Canada.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
AT&T is in the US only.
You wont get LTE speeds outside the US in any North America country with your Sprint iphone 5. Just in Europe and certain places in Asia.

Yes, with an unlocked AT&T iphone 5 you can get LTE in Canada.

That was it what I thought.Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.