Getting 5.1 sound out of S/PDIF in games (Windows 7 Boot Camp)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wilywampa, May 7, 2011.

1. wilywampa macrumors member

I'm trying to get surround sound to work on my MacBook Pro in Amnesia and Crysis. I have an early 2011 MBP running Windows 7 in Boot Camp hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR607 A/V receiver. In the sound options it looks like audio over HDMI only supports 2 channels, which is unfortunate because that would be the ideal setup. I am trying to use the S/PDIF port and a fiber optic cable to my receiver to get surround sound, but games revert to stereo for some reason. When I test the sound settings in the Properties page for Digital Audio (S/PDIF), I do get a test sound through each of the 5 speakers. What do I need to change for that to work in games?

2. wilywampa thread starter macrumors member

I decided it's impossible and bought a Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System. Works fine now. For the record, it's completely pathetic that my wife's cheap HP laptop recognizes the receiver and puts out up to 8 channels in all kinds of formats without any fiddling through HDMI, while my MacBook Pro can't do it at all. What's wrong with you, Apple?

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There a mini optical digital port on the laptop, I would've tried that if the receiver supports optical digital. I can get surround out of my MacBook Pro that way and hook it up to my 5.1 system.

4. wilywampa thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that is the S/PDIF port, and it works when I test it in the sound properties, but games still put out stereo no matter what. Surround works fine through S/PDIF on the Soundblaster.