Getting a 15" non retina, should I get an external cooling pad/fan with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kabe Ayofe, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Kabe Ayofe macrumors newbie

I should be getting a 15inch Macbook Pro tomorrow, and while using a friends I noticed they get considerably hot.

Do you guys think I should get an external cooling pad/fan to put under it while using it? I'll probably use it a lot in bed (I'm at uni in a small room).

What do you think??

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I'd say so. External cooling units/fans aren't that expensive, and at one point in your Mac endeavors you'll need it. You most likely won't need it on casual computer user, but if you're playing a game, watching a movie, or have tons of Flash-based webpages loaded, your MacBook will probably start to heat up.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If you're handy with electronics, just reapply thermal paste. I was given the first model of unibody MBP and that's the first thing I did. While surfing the web, the fans run 1000rpm slower and the CPU runs 10-15ºF cooler.

4. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I always thought about buying an external cooling base but always heard about that burning up the USBs since they are always in use giving power to the base. Is this true?

5. krravi macrumors 65816

Those cooling fans are for PC Laptops where the fans are in the bottom. Macs have their air vents on the hinge. IMHO, you would be wasting money on that one.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't see a reason to get a cooling pad. Sure it feel hot, but that's because the computer is made from aluminium which is a conductor of heat.