Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
I recently purchased a G5. I'm currently using it with a 17" apple lcd, but I'm gonna have to get a new monitor soon as I'm moving out and this lovely display is staying here.

now, one thing is certain: i can't afford an apple display :(
i'm looking for a relatively cheap option that would look as minimalistic as possible, should have dvi, 16ms response and no speakers.

the best option i've found so far is ViewSonic's VP171s (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp171s/#features) and I could get one for 538€. Does anyone have experience on it? Also other suggestions are very welcome! what should I do? :Q

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Windowlicker said:
I recently purchased a G5. I'm currently using it with a 17" apple lcd, but I'm gonna have to get a new monitor soon as I'm moving out and this lovely display is staying here.

now, one thing is certain: i can't afford an apple display :(
i'm looking for a relatively cheap option that would look as minimalistic as possible, should have dvi, 16ms response and no speakers.

the best option i've found so far is ViewSonic's VP171s (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp171s/#features) and I could get one for 538€. Does anyone have experience on it? Also other suggestions are very welcome! what should I do? :Q

Hey man, I run dual VP171b's exact monitor except Black. This monitor is extremely nice, incredibly good response time (I have never expirienced ghosting on it). DVI on it runs very nice, you have a very good level of contrast and brightness (I keep both of mine down quite a bit actually). It has a very crisp and clear picture, and a good resolution for the size 1280 by 1024. Text doesn't look cramped or small even though it's a 17".

Plus another benefit is the thin bezel. If you ever find yourself with some money you can get another and they work great together.

G5home-small.jpg

Honestly, the one downfall I find with the monitor is that sometimes it can feel plasticy. While it is sturdy, if you do type harshly or bump your table the monitor will wobble a bit. This is because they are setup to be used for pivoting (turn the display sideways for a different screen porportion). Because they have this option they aren't locked in their set position quite as well. But this really isn't a big problem, just something I notice because I am very picky.

If I had the money I would look into the Apple display's simply because I love more screen resolution. Besides that, at the 17" level I think these are one of the best monitors you could go with.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Chip NoVaMac said:
Not sure about the UK price, but this monitor has gotten my attention here in the states:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcdtv/n1700w/

About $700 US

it's pretty nice, yes. but it doesn't reakky match to my requirements, because (1) I don't want the speakers, (2) it's 25ms and I need a display below 20ms and (3) it's not very minimalistic because of the speakers and also the bezel is pretty big.

thanks for your input though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.