Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

Cracked my screen. That sucks. No worries. There aren't any reservations available at the Apple Store tomorrow. If I go in the morning, will they service my phone? I don't need to pick it up until the end of the day... what have your experiences been with this? Thanks!

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
I went in the morning when I cracked my iPhone 6 screen and they do have slots available for walk ins. Be warned though you could be waiting a while to be seen.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
yup, you might be sitting there for a long time. maybe even over an hour. and you can't just drop it off either.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I and a friend walked into our local Aplle store and took about 10 minutes for the geek to get to us. They replaced the screen in about 90 minutes.

Looks like each and every store is different.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As mentioned its possible, while visiting an apple store, I heard something similar someone came in off the street to get some work done, they were turned away because they had no appointment. Same store different day someone was able to get his issue looked at. I heard him complain that he was waiting there for close to two hours but they were going to look at it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They can turn you away or make you wait for hours. Up to you if you want to give it a shot.
If the store location isn't horrendously far from the OP, it certainly can't hurt to pop in and give it a shot :)

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If you have the time and have an Apple Store close to you, it's worth giving it a shot. But like the others mentioned, you'll still need to prepare yourself to wait for a little bit before they see you.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
We tried to make a reservation but their online reservation system for that particular store at least was not working so we walked in. We were seen to right away but had to leave and be paged via email to come back and drop off the phone. We were told normally the repair can be done the same day but their calibration equipment was not working and this applied to all stores as a systemwide problem. So they gave me a loaner that was identical except it was 16 gigs not 128. They shipped my iPhone off to something they called a depot and I got it back about five days later.

We were at the mall for about three hours waiting to be paged to come back and drop the phone off. That was weekend before last. I think they have their calibration machines back up by now.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
We tried to make a reservation but their online reservation system for that particular store at least was not working so we walked in. We were seen to right away but had to leave and be paged via email to come back and drop off the phone. We were told normally the repair can be done the same day but their calibration equipment was not working and this applied to all stores as a systemwide problem. So they gave me a loaner that was identical except it was 16 gigs not 128. They shipped my iPhone off to something they called a depot and I got it back about five days later.

We were at the mall for about three hours waiting to be paged to come back and drop the phone off. That was weekend before last. I think they have their calibration machines back up by now.

I guess this is something new they're doing. I used to work at the genius bar, but I quit about a year ago. Back then we would of never done that. We would of just replaced the entire device if our calibration machine wasn't working. What they did just seems like bad practice to me for a phone, depot used to mean just computers if it was something beyond the usual repair in store (and sending a computer to depot was usually beneficial to the customer if they had to pay because it would costs less) I wonder who's dumb idea at corporate decided this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.